𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔵𝔦𝔦

Maria was grateful when she woke up and her roommates weren't anywhere to be seen

Maria was grateful when she woke up and her roommates weren't anywhere to be seen. It didn't take her more than a few seconds to conclude they had probably gotten a little too drunk last night and had likely never even made it back to their dorm room.

She released a soft sigh as she climbed out of bed and threw on her uniform. After brushing through her wild hair and assuring she at least looked presentable, she made her way down to the common room where several students were groaning about being hungover on the first day back to school. 

Maria barely paid them any mind as she slipped out the door and strolled down to the Great Hall for breakfast. Any hope for a quiet morning was dashed when she entered the hall to find Malfoy relentlessly bullying Harry Potter again.

Normally, Maria wouldn't have cared enough to intervene but was feeling quite sorry for the Potter boy, especially since he was technically her father's godson. Plus the Malfoy boy had always annoyed the girl to no end.

"Did you faint as well, Weasley?" Malfoy's voice carried across the Great Hall as Maria stepped up to the group of third years.

"I heard you were crying for your mommy, Malfoy," Maria interrupted, startling all the younger students at her sudden presence. "And that sounds more pathetic than passing out, don't you think?"

Multiple pairs of curious eyes turned to the brunette in surprise as Malfoy turned a crimson shade of red. Harry's eyes widened in surprise at the presence of the dark-haired Gryffindor while Ron's mouth hung open in complete shock. Maria decided to ignore their reactions as she turned to face Malfoy and his group of Slytherins who followed him wherever he went.

"Scram, Malfoy," Maria ordered the blonde Slytherin as she narrowed her eyes at him and his friends. "And bring you idiot goons too"

Malfoy wouldn't normally take orders from anyone, especially a Gryffindor, but Maria Black was as mysterious as she was terrifying to any younger student. Without another word, Malfoy scurried off with his Slytherin followers right on his heels.

"Uh, thank you for that," Harry was the first to speak as Maria took a seat by the group of third years, deciding she would stay and talk with them for a change. "Um, I'm Harry. Harry Potter."

"I know," Maria responded, not thinking much of it as she grabbed some bacon and eggs from the table. "I'm Maria."

"I know," Harry's response prompted Maria to meet the younger boy's gaze as she noticed the sheepish grin on his face. The corner of her lips slightly twitched up, just enough for Harry to notice. Taking that as a good response, and the best he would ever get from Maria, Harry allowed him to relax in the presence of the mysterious Gryffindor.

Hermione on the other hand, shifted uncomfortably as she recalled last night's event and the screams she heard from Maria. She didn't utter a single word, too afraid she would blurt out something she wasn't supposed to say. Hermione wasn't scared of much, but Maria was an unknown variable she didn't want to mess with.