One When One Player Meets Another Chapter 9.5

Chapter 9.5

(Max’s Point of View)

Something was wrong. I knew it almost instantly, I mean come on, no mater how big of an insensitive jerk I may be accused of being, you don’t date someone for five years without being able to tell when their upset.

And Summer was… upset that is. I could see it in her expression all through the rest of shopping and diner. The light she had displayed earlier, the joy at shopping, the excitement of being in New York… it was gone. And in its place was this fake happiness.

What hurt the most though strangely is that she thought I wouldn’t be able to tell that she wasn’t having a good time. I mean sheesh, what kind of person would I be if I didn’t notice? Then again…

Well, I suppose I wasn’t the greatest boyfriend in the world, after all, I had never seemed to worried about her before. Thus, so I wouldn’t break character, I didn’t ask what was wrong.

I just decided she’d get over it… eventually.

We arrived at the hotel soon after we finished dinner. The restaurant was quite close to the hotel, which was a plus because both of us were obviously tuckered out. I took the room key gratefully, and we hauled our bags up to our room.

When we got there and I opened the door, I found a large surprise for us. The room was huge, and I mean HUGE. Like it wasn’t a room, it was a small house. My parent’s were really pulling out the big guns. Two floors, the upstairs had this nice entertainment area with L shaped couches and a flat screen mounted on the wall. Then right across from that there was this area with a nice looking pool table. The top floor’s walls we all glass, giving us a nice view of the city.

The downstairs was a large living space, consisting of a bar, a dinning area, a sort of living room with couches and such, and a baby grand piano in one corner. Then to the right of this space was an open archway that led to of what I assumed to be a work out room, it’s walls were covered in mirrors, and small exercise bike faced a TV (not a flat screen) attached too the wall.

Then to the right of THIS room there were two MORE archways, one in the top right corner and one in the bottom right corner that both led to the same bedroom. And when we walked into the bedroom we found the biggest surprise of all.

“There’s only one bed.” Summer stated simply looking at the massive, but single, king-size bed that lay before us. I was just as surprised as her but I kept up my cool demeanor.

“I noticed.” I stated with a roll of my eyes, and she shot me a glare that even without words, I could understand, I wasn’t helping the situation at hand.

I shrugged, “Well, if you’re that uncomfortable you can sleep on the couch…”

She turned on me instantly, eyes wide. “Excuse me?” She demeaned, her eyes full of livid anger. I smiled to myself, I bet she thought she looked intimidating, but all she looked like was a child trying to be an adult.

“No…” I started to say, but she had already left the room. Ten minutes later she came back hair damp and in her PJs. I looked at her and she pointed at another archway that I had missed. “There’s a bathroom through there.” She stated coolly, and with that she went and flopped down on the bed.

I quickly took my own shower, or at least I thought I was quick, but by the time I got back Summer was already under the covers and the room was dark. Somehow though, I knew she was awake.

“I’m not sleeping on the couch.” I told her in the dark, and though I couldn’t see her expression, I knew she was wearing a smirk when she said, “Have fun sleeping on the floor then.”