Chapter 10

Somehow, through the grace of the saints and all the angels, I managed to bring home acceptable grades. The process had been simple; I have no life. I don't go out, I don't hang, I sleep, study, eat, and repeat. My size 12 jeans are now too snug as I pass most of my time in a sedentary position, slugged over my notes.

"You have to go out dancing," Isla said. Isla, my one and only girlfriend whom I met in Advanced Algebra. She's the first person I know who smokes, she's 21, and I'm quickly learning she doesn't give a fuck.

"The only reason I have my grades is because I don't go out," I said. She's painting her nails black, covering up the polish she hadn't bothered removing.

"Dancing is cardio, you need cardio or you can buy new jeans."

It makes sense. Tomorrow is Friday and I have no class, we could go out tonight. I look at her. "I know a gay club that I was invited to, it's popping on Thursday nights."

"Club Test?" She doesn't even look at me, nothing surprises her.

I nod and she smiled slowly and blew on her nails.

"Ok, haven't been there in a while," she said.

I get quite excited. It's been months and months since I have dolled myself up and strutted with girlfriends to a club. I could wait until next week when Mercy and Yara come home for Thanksgiving. Rosalind is flying straight to Miami so I won't get to see her until Christmas. I have to have a bit of an adventure before they come home or I'll have nothing to speak about. My life has been a consummate bore. The guys go out nearly every weekend and have stopped asking me if I want to go out with them. They know my standard answer; I can't, I'm studying.

By the time I make my way back to Atrium I have Isla's number in my purse and I little hop in my step. I'm going out, I'm going to get sexy, I'm wearing that top Denis with no last name said looked amazing on me. I'm so engrossed in my excitement that I don't spot the guys until I'm literally next to them. I must subconsciously look for them now, I have no other explanation.

"We're going to Firestone tonight," Jon said.

I turn to look at them rather stunned that I'm in the middle of a guys night out planning session.

"You coming this time, Becky-girl?" Steven is next to me.

"You know she doesn't come," Victor said

He's tentatively hanging away from me as I've been giving him the frosty shoulder for the past few weeks. He still hasn't apologized and I can be as stubborn as him. Cold war. They think I'm a boring and do nothing, sweet Catholic girl who stays home with her legs crossed.

"I actually already have plans."

If I could frame Victor's face I would. Mine is a cartoonish smug look which I delight in immensely.

"Yeah, where are you going?" Jon had no qualms about asking. Victor is simply staring at me.

"Club Test, a friend of mine invited me, his roommate is a bartender there so I'm going with my girlfriend," I said.

"What friend, is she hot?" Jon stepped closed and I ignored him.

I tossed my hair over my shoulder. "So, have fun in Firestone, wear a condom!"

"Wait, wait, wait," Steven grabbed my hand and pulled me back. "Ain't that the gay club?"

I nodded.

"Why are you going to a gay club? Are you gay?" Jon is knee-deep in confusion.

"I am not gay but I need to hang out with people who are not you three," I said.

"What's wrong with us?" Steven crossed his arms.