Chapter 15: I'm Home

Part 2

6 months later  

A famous man once said we create our own demons. Who said that? What does that even mean? Doesn't even matter. I said it because he said it. I don't... I'm going to start again. Let's track this from the beginning.

Yo listen up, here's the story

About a little guy that lives in a blue world

And all day and all night and everything he sees is just blue...

'Happy? What is this God-awful song?!' I exclaim. 

'It's what was on the radio.' He says singing along. I groan and put my earphones in, trying to block out the weird music Happy has chosen. Happy picked me up from the airport, no private jets for me! That would be a field day for the press, wondering why a teenager is on Tony Stark's private plane. Luckily business class from New York wasn't too bad. At least dad didn't put me in economy!

I sigh as I look out of the window, watching the world pass by. 

For the last six months, I had been training with Nat, Steve and Clint at SHIELD headquarters in Washington. I mostly focused on my powers but I also did some computer programming and hacking. Nat was a great teacher and Steve told the best stories. I couldn't wait to tell dad all the pranks Clint taught me. We annoyed a lot of people together. 

Since I'd left New York, I'd only seen Pepper once. She had come to check on the progress at Stark Tower and then decided to travel up to Washington. We had lunch, went for a walk; it was a good chance to catch up. I tried to call my dad as much as I could to make up for the fact that I hadn't come home. I know, I was a terrible daughter, but once I had gotten a taste of the real world, I didn't want to go back. The best thing was that, just before I left, Nat had said I was ready for missions and Steve commented on how independent I had become, saying that I was flourishing at the facility. Perhaps I'd merely grown into my role as a teenager, after all I was nearly thirteen and had begun to find my own voice. But to me, I was no longer a hidden Stark; I was Katy Carter, SHIELD agent in training and future Avenger. I hoped that dad would see how much I'd matured and grown. I couldn't wait to see him and his new inventions. 

I was only supposed to be gone for a few months but because Nat thought I was doing so well and I had a good control of my powers, I was invited to begin training as a SHIELD agent. I was having so much fun, I couldn't say no. I loved being Ion girl. I loved my new electricity. 

My thoughts run wild as I fiddle with the lightning necklace dad gave me before I left. I stare out at the blue sea, the gentle waves frothing against the sand. This was my home, and it was filled with the happiest memories. This was a time of peace, this was really where my life began; not New York or SHIELD, but here in Malibu. 

After what feels like hours of terrible radio music, Happy pulls into the drive. I'm home. I never thought I would say this but I missed our Malibu home. New York is great and I love the busyness  and the excitement of the streets, but there's nothing like the sound of the gentle ocean and the warm sun to make me feel at peace. New York was freezing when I left so I'm glad for the change in temperature. I go to grab my bags from the car but Happy beats me to it.