Chapter 1

The grim events at Fort Gray Bear ended with the death of nearly twenty men, and one friend, Wilma, warrior of Akalabash. Yoris, blessed by the God of War, and aided by stalwart companions felled the evil General Shezzaraad. The result, apart from retrieval of another Lagos artifact, was knowledge that once and for all, he had entered the esteemed ranks of crusader, yet he felt no different. There was no awe, no wonder, no sense of pride or fortitude.

Yoris and Larson spoke at length of faith and war. Neither had a clue on how to proceed on the path of the crusader, but both agreed that a meeting with Johann at the temple in Xorinth was in order. They had a need to reach Xorinth to hand off the recovered artifact anyway, so the remaining warriors, Charlotte, Garrett, and Lyalla agreed to travel quickly and cautiously from Stormguard to the MagickalCity.

In Xorinth, they first stopped by Mathew's home. Melina explained the detective was away on important business, but that he had left word to relax in the city. All were in accord to leave the artifact under the aegis of Garrett. Lyalla remained by his side. Charlotte went off to the thieves' guild to procure information. Larson and Yoris marched across an overcrowded street towards the temple district.

The stone portico of the Temple of Akalabash was alive, bathed in sunlight, as warriors spent the morning in prayer, hearing the sermon of the head priest. Two friends in arms walked in. The sensation of being home invaded their spirits.

By the oblique glow of the sun and burning braziers, Johann spoke of faith, of resolve, of war. He instructed the fighters to strike down all their opposition, showing mercy only if the great God of War commanded so.

Larson eyed his friend. Yoris seemed transfixed, yet the human wondered if, perhaps, Johann was too severe in his sermon. Larson believed mercy was always due, or almost always. At the end of Johann's preaching, the young fighter made to leave Yoris at the Temple of Akalabash.

Yoris wished his friend good luck in their upcoming battles. Larson wished Yoris the same. He then claimed a need to stretch his legs, adding that he might drop by Sarah's orchard for a mug of cider.

"Excuse me," Johann called.

Yoris turned from the shining exit to view the aged priest. "What can I do for you?" Johann asked if he had accepted the challenge. "Indeed, I have," Yoris stated, dryly. He went on to recount the battle at Fort Gray Bear. "Yet I must admit that I am in the dark. I do not feel any different."

"What exactly did you expect?" The priest smiled. "Did you imagine invulnerability? Endless constitution? Supreme strength, perhaps?"

"I felt all that and more during my battle. I suspect Larson felt the same when he defeated Minister Parish."

Chuckling politely, Johann explained that there was no turning back. Yoris interrupted, saying he had no intention of turning his back. He wanted only to know how to proceed, how to actually become a crusader.

"Follow me to the study, um...?"

"Yoris."

"Aye...Yoris, come."

They stepped around the dais of Akalabash, down a darkened hall with a creaky, wooden floor, and into a room with innumerable, wooden shelves simply brimming with books, journals, and leather bound tomes. Johann called out to a younger priest, asking for The Tenets of Crusaders. After receiving the thin, black book, he held it aloft. "You must begin by reading these words."

"What are they? What is this about?"

Johann gave a scant summary, saying that the book was handed to everyone on the path of crusaders. The book contained general instructions on how to behave.

"Can not anyone follow this advice," Yoris pried.

"Of course, though not all would benefit as do the crusaders, for crusaders in particular must empty their minds and hearts in order to be Akalabash. You must be empty in order to be filled by His Will."

They passed an uneasy glance. The sunlight coming through windows built high into the stone walls gave them both a severe countenance. Johann's wrinkles appeared deeper. Yoris's grim face looked hard as stone.

"There is no turning back," Johann affirmed. "You do wish to do His bidding, don't you?"

"Yes, yes of course. I will read this book carefully."

"Go and fight."

A nod of respect ensued. Yoris turned on his heels and exited the Temple of Akalabash before taking a deep breath and closing his eyes as he lifted his face into a chilly wind. Gripping tightly his book, he turned down the road to search for a quaint inn.

Pushing his way through the masses, he found just the place—The Begging Beagle. Inside, he ignored practically everyone, made a straight line for the bar, ordered a heavy meal, and as he waited for service, he perused the pages.

The book began with a strange code of behavior, glossing over a few complex concepts. First, a crusader was to erase personal history: The Crusader has no name, no country, no friends, no relationships; he is but a sword wielded by Akalabash.

Second, a crusader was to eradicate self-importance: The Crusader is no better or worse than a beggar, thief, or king. A crusader cannot be offended, for there is no self to offend. A sword cannot be offended. A sword cannot be praised.

Third, the crusader was to silence the mind: A silent mind accepts faithfully the will of Akalabash. A silent mind is focused yet empty so that it may never waver. A silent mind springs like a bear trap to act upon opportunity when it shows.

The book went on to claim that by the time the tenets were observed, practiced, and ingrained, the crusader had become the sword of Akalabash, ready to strike at will. Crusaders were neither defeated nor victorious. They were only alive or dead. While alive, they fought in the world of men. While dead, they fought in Inguraad, the world of Akalabash.

The next few pages contained abridged versions of stories in which crusaders silenced the mind, and journeyed from temple to temple, picking and choosing quests. In some tales, crusader took on mercenary work when it was presented. Some of them joined the military. The point of all the stories was that Akalabash called on crusaders whenever they were needed, and only while they properly followed the tenets; they had to have the sobriety to be present in the right place at the right time.

After eating, he rented a room for the night, lied in bed with hands folded under his head, and thought about the tenets. Silencing the mind was a simple enough concept, but he didn't understand erasing personal history or eradicating self-importance. He thought it was necessary for a warrior to have roots, past experiences to draw upon, and he thought it necessary for a warrior to have pride. Moments later, he was sound asleep.