Just to hear your voice (And know you're there)

Three years later:

It took the entirety of the week before Peter's birthday to make them.

He had to force himself to work slowly, making sure that he put every wire in the right place, and formed them to comfortably fit over Peter's ears.

Peter wandered into the workshop whenever Tony wasn't with him, and Tony had to hide the devices each time.

The morning of Peter's birthday brought rain and grey skies.

He found his son spread over his bed, pillow over his face.

Tony dropped onto the bed beside him, grinning softly when Peter immediately rolled over, pressing his face into his dad's leg.

"It's rainy," Peter mumbled. "I wanted to go to the park with you."

They had planned a day in the city, trying all the quaint shops, eating at their favorite Thai restaurant, visiting the park, and then going home to watch movies.

Tony squeezed his shoulder gently, waiting until Peter looked up to start signing. 'We're going to have fun today. I promise.'

The twelve year old curled his fingers into the front of his dad's shirt. "How?"

'Because,' Tony signed quickly. 'I have a present for you.'

Peter sat up quickly, leaning over to grin eagerly into Tony's face. "Can I have it now?"

Tony rolled his eyes fondly. 'What, you don't want to wait a while?'

"Dad! It's my birthday!"

'All right then.' Tony heaved himself off the bed, putting his arm around his son. "Let's go."

As soon as the doors of the workshop slid open, Peter bounded around the room, searching for his present.

Tony picked up a pencil, tossing it at his son to gain his attention.

It bounced off his ear, and he twisted around indignantly, eyes narrowing.

Tony grinned easily, gesturing to the couch at the back.

With a put upon sigh, Peter dropped onto the cushion, wide eyes focused on his dad.

'Close your eyes.'

Peter obeyed, eyes scrunched up, and mouth already lifting in a smile.

The hearing aids were already wrapped, in a tiny box with a red and blue bow.

He placed it in Peter's hands, and then tapped his cheek.

A curious expression crept over Peter's face, and he turned it over carefully before looking to Tony for permission.

He could hardly deny the pleading eyes, almost as excited as Peter.

And he nodded.

Peter waited no longer, before pulling the bow open, and lifting the lid.

A look of awe dawned, and his mouth dropped open. "Is it-?"

Tony nodded, smile threatening to overtake his features, hands signing rapidly. 'Hearing aids.'

Tears brimmed in Peter's eyes, and he darted into Tony's arms.

Tony dropped a kiss on the top of his head, waiting several seconds before pushing him back gently.

'What do you want to hear? You only get this chance once, so... what is the first thing you want to hear?'

Several more seconds passed before Peter looked up, smile shy, fingers twisting together.

But he didnt say anything, and Tony slipped the small devices over his ears, then rested his hands on the small shoulders. 'Last chance, kiddo. Whatever you want to hear.'

Letting out a nervous breath, Peter glanced up. "Your voice? Please?"

Tony had to blink back tears before he could continue, kissing Peter's head. 'Okay. I can do that.'

He turned them on with shaking hands, and took a breath. "Hey Pete." His voice trembled with emotion. "Hey."

Peter's mouth fell open, and tears welled in his eyes. "I can hear you. I can hear you."

Tony pulled him into a tight hug, laughing softly. "I love you, Pete. Happy Birthday."