On the bus, Sister Maria was in awe at how much the two of you talked. You spent every moment you could together in the last four years, but still found something to chatter about day after day. She wasn't sure why it still surprised her to see how close you'd become, but it did.

When you reached your destination, a small lake at the edge of the forest, she instructed the children to be careful and not stray should you get lost or miss the call for lunch. Watching you and James leave, hand in hand, she knew not to worry when you slipped behind the tree line. Every field trip, it was always the same: you'd disappear for a couple of hours, and appear with a new drawing, ready to play the rest of the day away.

James found a good spot right away, with plenty of moss and patches of sunlight filtering through the trees. After getting you settled, he sat against a tree and began to take out his sketchbook.

"I'll try to be quick," he assured, ruffling through his bag for his pencils.

"It's ok, I'm comfy."

"You're the best, you know that?" he beamed, hand already moving at a quick pace. "What do you wanna do after?"

"Ummm, can we go swimming?" you replied, keeping perfectly still.

He paused and looked up at you. He thought you looked like a fairy the way the sunlight speckled your skin. Just when he thought he couldn't possibly find you more beautiful, you surprised him. "Oh, Doll...we can do whatever you want."

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Father Coulson looked at the couple opposite his desk in complete shock. What should have been a joyous occasion, was quickly becoming a sorrowful one.

"Are you certain?" he asked hoarsely. "Y/N is a very special girl, but she does have very specific emotional needs."

"We know, Father. We've read her files and it's dreadful, but we know she's right for us," Pepper Potts-Stark assured him. "We've discussed it, and we're sure we want her."

"And you, Mr. Stark?" Coulson turned his attention to Tony, praying he'd have doubts about you. "Are you in agreement with your wife?"

"Absolutely. Only seven years old and she's reading Tolkien? A girl like that needs to be exposed to the world. It'd be a shame for her to stay until she ages out and land herself at a dead-end job simply because of a lack of opportunity."

Coulson looked out the window to where you and James were playing, knowing it was going to be the hardest thing he'd ever have to do.

"I understand it's not as common for older children to get adopted," Pepper said, getting Coulson's attention. "but an older child is best for our situation, and we've just fallen in love with her." Tony took her hand and gave it a squeeze, gazing lovingly into his wife's eyes.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

There was an uneasy feeling in the pit of his stomach as he leaned against the wall across Coulson's office. You hadn't been in any fights, and you always did your chores and homework, so he couldn't think of anything you could be in trouble for.

"JAMES!" he heard you shriek before running out the door.

"What's wrong?" he asked, alarmed by your panicked state. You threw your arms around him and clung tightly, weeping into his neck. "Y/N, what happened?!"

"She's been adopted," Father Coulson answered for you, not looking the least bit pleased.

James felt his chest tighten and his throat close, eyes watering as you began to cry harder at hearing the word again. "Shhh," he soothed. "It's alright. Everything's gonna be fine," he blubbered out, barely able to contain his own sobs. He held you tighter, afraid you were going to be ripped from his arms at that moment.