4

Steve's smile fell as soon as he spotted Natasha and Bucky coming from the baggage claim. Bucky's happy expression was strained, obviously forced for Nat's sake as he took her bag, her own faltering as soon as he turned from her.

"Hey guys," he called warily, waving his arm to catch their attention.

"Stevie," Bucky dropped his bag and pulled him into a quick hug. "How's everything?"

"Fine. Hi Nat." He gave her a hug as well, picking Bucky's bag up when they separated. "How was your trip?" He didn't really want to ask, but it would have made things even more awkward if he hadn't.

"The architecture was beautiful," Bucky offered. He had tried to not let Nat's slipup ruin the trip she'd worked so hard to surprise him with, but he was well aware of his failure when her own mood didn't improve during the remainder of their stay.

"Food was delicious," she added with an equally forced smile. She appreciated Bucky trying to make the best of their vacation, but the damage had been done and it was like she was back at square one with him.

Steve nodded, not pressing the issue anymore. When they arrived at his car, they put the luggage in the trunk and and climbed inside.

"Do you guys want to go out to dinner tonight? Sam's bringing a date."

Natasha was about to say yes, but Bucky spoke before she could.

"Nah, I just want to head home," he sighed. "Did, um... did anything come for me?"

Steve's eyes quickly flicked toward Natasha, who pursed her lips and turned to stare out the window. "Yeah. I left it on the top shelf of your safe."

The rest of drive was silent, and Steve was relieved when he finally dropped them off at home. He rushed back to his own house, the same one he and Bucky grew up in, to spend time with Peggy before they headed out to dinner, knowing that for the next few weeks all her time would be dedicated to comforting Nat over her failed plan.

Soft music greeted him when he stepped through the front door, the faintest hint of his wife's perfume lingering in the air. He slowly made his way to their bedroom and found her in front of her vanity, humming along to the tune as she applied her makeup. He watched her from the door silently, not wanting to interrupt.

"Your suit's laid out for you," she purred, turning to him with a smile. "How did it go?"

Steve slightly cringed, but knowing she saw it anyway, he sat on the bed and ran a hand through his hair in frustration. "You should probably go see Nat tomorrow. It didn't look good."

"Oh no. I suppose they won't be joining us, then?"

"No, Buck just wanted to go home."

"Steve?" she paused, setting her brush down. "Is it really necessary for him to receive the parcel from the orphanage?"

He didn't even take a moment to consider it. "Yes."

"Why?" she persisted. "All it does is upset him, both of them, so why not maybe next year, just throw it out and say it didn't come?"

"Because that would be a federal offense?" he joked, not wanting to have the conversation yet again.

"I'm serious."

"Peg," he rubbed his cheek, averting his eyes from her determined ones. "I can't. Believe me, it would only make things worse."

"How?"

"It just would. I wish I could help them, I do, but that's not the way."

"Maybe if you told me what was going on, I could help you think of something." She knew she was toeing boundaries bringing it up, but it would be worth it if it helped her friend.