Atlantis Twisting Tides Chapter 2A

Chapter Two A

Gravity Grounded

My muscles tightened with adrenaline and fear. I had to save Kai.

“Kai!” My scream rent the air. I grabbed the top edge of one side of the boat. The side I was on.

He was on the other side of the divide. The gulf between us grew larger, each end dipping low in the water. Sinking.

My heart sank, too. An anchor being tossed. I was going to have to expose what I was in order to save him. He’d know about Atlanteans and their powers. He’d broadcast the news to other humans. They’d hunt us down.

The ocean washed through the space between us in an onslaught of waves. Only the ends of the boat showed, now. Water rose to Kai’s waist.

His smug smile was gone, along with any hint of humor. His lips pinched tight together. “Adria!” He stuck his hand out, straining toward me.

The waves grew higher. The wind stronger. The rain harder.

Fear and fury had me stretching across the waves. I grabbed Kai’s hand. Our fingers slid together, seeming to fit. Then, his other hand wrapped around my arm, pulling me closer.  Holding hands, we tumbled into the raging ocean.

The water rose above our heads. Our bodies plunged. Far below the raging waves the sea was peaceful. This might be an alien world to Kai. To me, it was home. We’d be safer from the lightning and the wind under the water. Except, Kai couldn’t breathe.

He’d have to surface soon. I didn’t want to lose him in the storm. If I stuck by him, I could protect him. Get him to land. Save him. Confusion tossed like the waves. But by saving him, he might discover my powers.

Kai seemed complacent beside me. He didn’t kick or struggle. He floated beneath the surface seeming to enjoy. Or being lulled by the rocking of the current. His gaze connected with mine. Then, his grey eyes flashed, realizing the problem. He was still underwater.

Tugging me, he started kicking his legs. His free arm, the one not holding my hand, stroked toward the surface. I kicked, too. Joined him in his quest for oxygen.

Maybe if I acted scared I could save Kai and get out of this situation with him never being the wiser about my Atlantean status.

Together, we burst out of the water looking like a pod of porpoises.

Waves slapped us in the face. Rain hit so hard the drops stung. The wind tangled my hair. I wasn’t enjoying the above-the-surface sensations.

“Grab the boat.” Kai clutched a piece of wood he once called a boat.

The portion of the hull had the shape of one side of a deep clam. The bottom faced the sky. The tip pointed into the water. And the broken edge showed black burn marks where the lightning had struck.

With the waves rocking us and the boat around, I grabbed the other side. Together, we pulled it close.

“We can use it to cover us.” He swam under the curved wood using the flooring as a roof.

I followed. My right hand re-gripped his, passing another frisson through our connection. My left hand grasped the edge of wood. The piece of boat bowed over our heads, creating an intimate shelter. The wind wasn’t as loud here. The stinging rain couldn’t reach us.

“If we both kick, we can reach this island I know about.” Kai didn’t sound desperate, which was good. He wasn’t going to panic on me.

I kicked with my legs, careful not to use my Atlantean strength. Didn’t want him to realize how truly strong I was. Not because I was a girl, but because I was an Atlantean.