Atlantis Twisting Tides - Chapter Four A

Chapter Four A

Notable Names

Wade’s fingers dug into my skin, and yet pain increased in my lungs. I couldn’t breathe. I tried to jerk myself free. His hand imprisoned me. I couldn’t move—although, that could have been from pure terror.

Four against one. I didn’t like my odds.

Impulses dithered and danced in my midsection unsure whether to fear or go with the flow. I was probably being silly and making a fool of myself. Kai wouldn’t hurt me. And neither would his friends. It was the stupid human rumors that had my stomach flipping in an uproar.

I ignored the threat in Wade’s question. “W-when will your friend be back with the boat?”

I could dive into the water—and yes, they might try to save me, but they’d give up eventually because they needed to get off the island.

Kai peered at Wade, who glowered at Zale, who glared at Riva. Even if humans didn’t have the secret communication skills, they were definitely conferring about something with their gazes.

My nerves skittered and swirled from my gut to my throat. I wanted to know what the humans were thinking.

“Not for a long time.” Wade sounded slow and relaxed, except I sensed his tension through the hold he had on my wrist.  “What’s going on between you two? Appears we broke up something…intimate.”

Scalding heat flooded and swept the nerves away.

Kai’s dark skin couldn’t cover the red on his cheeks. He inspected the ground trying to hide his expression. “No. Nothing. Nothing was going on.” He spoke fast. “She’s just a girl I rescued.”

Just a girl? Anger spiked. I wanted to scream at Kai. Instead, I wore my self-respect like a cloak of calmness. Mother would be proud.

“She’s grateful I saved her life.” Kai leaned closer, his leer making my stomach tip in revulsion.

I’d saved his life, the ingrate eel. Spluttering, I turned it into a cough.

Riva’s lips pursed in disgust. She crossed her arms, covering her cute one-piece swimsuit. “You were taking advantage of her?” Anger leaked between every word.

Maybe I had another ally.

“No.” The lines around Kai’s eyes and mouth tightened. Then, he slouched, plastered a silly grin on his face, and gave a slow, extra-exaggerated-chauvinistic wink. He took hold of my other wrist. Gentle, but firm. “Yes. You guys understand.”

The angry spikes poked, urging my fury forward. I wanted to shove my goodbye into Kai’s face. He didn’t deserve a goodbye and he certainly didn’t deserve any more of my time. I yanked my wrist from his hold with ease. Then, I pulled on my other wrist trying to free it from Wade’s tight grasp.

He didn’t let go. “Sure, we understand.” Wade sank onto the sand pulling me beside him. “You guys—”

My knees hit the dry sand scraping my skin. That didn’t hurt compared to my dignity.

“Excuse me?” Riva planted a hand on her hip and jutted her chin with attitude.

If I’d met her under different circumstances, I bet we could’ve been friends.

“You all find dinner. I’ll keep Adria company.” Wade stroked my wrist with his thumb.

Chills slid across my cold skin. “No.” I didn’t want to be alone with Wade. “I’ll help search for dinner.”

“They’re experienced at fishing. What about you?” Wade’s question accused.

An accusation I didn’t want to explain. “Um, no. I’m not familiar with the ocean at all.”

Kai held out his hand, a pleading light in his eyes. “Come with me, Adria.”

Now, he showed concern? When he’d said I meant nothing to him? Or had that been an act for his friends? What were Kai’s true intentions?

The next installment of ATLANTIS TWISTING TIDES will be released on Wattpad on December 23, 2014.

ATLANTIS GLACIAL TIDES is now available at Amazon, iBooks, GooglePlay, Nook, and Kobo. The book continues Adria and Kai’s story.