Chapter 6

tw: mentions of death, blood, and guns

The time is 11:23 pm. People were running. They were tripping over their feet, trying not to get hurt. They scrambled into their cars and sped off, desperate to get away from the crime scene. Mia and Jordyn were the only people not moving. They were standing, frozen in shock. Finally, Mia spoke up.

"Was-" she gulped. "Was that a g-gunshot?" She starts to breathe heavily.

Jordyn slowly shakes her head. "It couldn't be," she says. "No one would be dumb enough to bring a gun to Leah's house. Her parents would sue so hard, they could never go back to TSU. They wouldn't have the money."

Mia turns to grab Jordyn's shirt. "No, Jordyn I swear on my fricking life that was a gunshot. No chip bag pops that loud." She clutches her own shirt then. "We have to go find them.

At this, Jordyn turns to stare at Mia. "Are you crazy? We'll get shot, Mia! I'm not gonna risk our lives just so you can check this out."

"But what if-?"

"No, I don't want to lose my life over something like this! Yes, someone else could have lost his or her life but we can't be the next ones, okay?" Jordyn starts to shake. "We won't be the next ones."

At this moment, Leah runs up to them, panting. Hear brown hair is messed up and her clothes are stained with blood. "Guys, I have something to tell you! It's Jess-"

Jordyn cuts her off. "Yeah, where is Jess? She was just outside this door." Leah's brown eyes shoot to the ground. Jordyn notices this. "Leah... did you force Jess to go somewhere with you?" Leah opened her mouth to lie, but Jordyn's glare stopped that. Leah cracked.

"Okay! Yes, I took Jordyn to go on a walk with me. We went to the woods, and then she-" her words were cut off by a choked sob. "Here, I'll just show you guys." The three girls walked across the lawn to the back part of Leah's house. There, they saw something they never thought they'd see. Jess's eyes were open, and so was her mouth. There was a small line of blood trailing down her chin. There was a gunshot wound in her side. The huge puddle of blood had already stained her clothes. She was cold. She wasn't moving. She was dead. Mia screamed. Jordyn fainted. Leah stood there, just staring. No one noticed them or heard Mia's scream. No one was there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jordyn laid on her back in her twin-sized bed. In her mind a horrifying image of Jess flashed through her mind. She shuddered, and rolled over to grab her phone. She entered the group chat. (I mixed up Jordyn and Leah so pretend the icon that says Jordyn is Leah)

 (I mixed up Jordyn and Leah so pretend the icon that says Jordyn is Leah)

Jordyn shuts off her phone and sighs. She stares up at the ceiling, wondering what would happen next. She thought things like this only happened to bad kids. Kids who hate the world so much that the world seems to hate them back. But it happens to everyone, good or bad. Jordyn cried herself to sleep that night.
————————