Chapter Thirteen

"What we have to do," Dashi whispered to the other Octonauts, "is flood the ship."

"Flood the ship?" Shellington exclaimed loudly, before realising how loud he had been and shutting up quickly. "How?" he asked, more quietly.

Dashi smiled. "I saw a porthole, a little lower down the ship and just underneath the water when I was hanging outside. If we open that, we can flood the ship and the fish -"

"Will be able to breathe!" Peso finished happily.

"Some of us need to get past that guard to get to the porthole," whispered Dashi.

Tunip chattered, seeing the other Vegimals floating in the nearest tank. Before Shellington could stop him he had raced to the tank and hopped up into the top, balancing easily on the thin rim of the glass tank. Luckily the guard didn't look round, or he would see the yellow Vegimal on top of the tank.

Barrot spoke to Shellington quietly, and the sea otter's eyes lit up. "The Vegimals say they can distract the guard while we open the porthole. Have you got your radio?"

"Yeah," Peso replied.

"Okay. Peso and Shellington, can you go down and open that porthole?" asked Dashi. Tunip was struggling to lift the top off the tank, it was thick metal. Luckily it wasn't fastened down, and Barrot hopped up to help out. Both Vegimals heaved on the metal lid, trying to budge it so the other Vegimals would be free.

"Yes, of course," replied Shellington, preparing to run down the corridor leading downstairs. Peso looked nervous but made to follow him.

"Radio me when you've opened the hatch. We'll only have a little time to open all the tanks before the entire ship floods," ordered Dashi.

Suddenly there was a large clatter and the metal lid hit the floor - and the guard. He was knocked forward and fell unconscious on the ground.

"Well it wasn't a diversion, but at least he's out of the picture," murmured Dashi. "Okay, you two, go! Radio me when you're done. And remember to put your helmets on!"

Peso and Shellington hurried away, heading down the flight of stairs next to the fish tanks. The Professor had noticed them by now, and was gesturing to the lid.

"I'm coming Inkling!" Dashi shouted, waving over the Vegimals who were now free from the tank and clambering up onto Inkling's tank. One down, five to go.

Back up on the deck, Hawkeye was inspecting deep down in the water, looking at the Octopod.

"It's a very high tech ship. Maybe I'll keep it when I've sold you to the black market. It can be one of our extra fishing ships."

"The Octopod will never be used for evil like that," growled Captain Barnacles. Hawkeye laughed.

"Oh won't it? Well stop me then. Use all your strength and break those shackles. Then get past Cera and rescue all the fish. Then sink my ship and leave in yours. What? Too much for you?" he asked, at Barnacles' defeated look. "It's a big task, but surely a captain could do that. Save his crew."

"I'm a better captain than you are," argued Barnacles. "I don't threaten my crew to work for me."

"Threaten? Why, Captain? Whatever could you mean?" Hawkeye had on an expression of mock surprise.

"You think it's not obvious? I haven't seen a single sailor not look terrified of you since we've been here. You order, not ask. You don't seem to care about their feelings or hurt. And Cera obviously despises you. Though she's scared as well. You threaten her."

"I fear nothing!" snarled Cera, stepping forward with her fists balled. She was a formidable opponent. But one look from Hawkeye made sure she did nothing. Kwazii wondered why he hadn't spotted it before. The Captain saw more than he let on.

"Oh Captain. You'll learn. To be feared is to be respected. I use fear to get this position. And Cera, of course I threaten her to work. She knows full well I will throw her overboard if she doesn't do exactly what I say." Hawkeye draped an arm casually over the fox's shoulders. She was tense and stiff.

"She's scared of water?" Kwazii asked.

Cera looked furious and defensive as Hawkeye laughed. "Who isn't scared of drowning? She is a seasoned warrior, but every warrior has a fear. Cera's my girl though, and as long as she stays mine that fear will never come to fruition."

Cera shook off his arm and moved away from him. Hawkeye grinned evilly. "Oh Cera. Having second thoughts, are we? You know what happens next."

"What are you talking about?" asked Captain Barnacles.

"She's loyal to me. And only me. But a little pain helps the mind stay strong."

This guy was nuts, Kwazii reflected. And he couldn't help a twinge of sympathy for Cera. She was obviously unhappy here. But she broke Tweak's wrist. And caused her pain. No one who did that would ever be forgiven.