Nicholas Janitsary's words about Singapore History

While establishing the Singapore branch of consultancy named New Dimensions Group, Mr. Nicholas Janitsary researched the city’s rich history.

Dr. Nicholas A. Janitsary, Esq. is a Criminologist and founder of New Dimension Group a global consultancy with offices in Singapore, Dubai and Delhi. The Group offers consultancy on business development, understanding business cultures and bridging the gap between the Middle East, Asia and India. Nicholas Janitsary has worked with various governments and law enforcement groups in helping them get a foothold in these regions.  Additionally, Dr. Nicholas Janitsary speaks at many international forums on global security, namely The Interpol General Assembly.

Singapore’s strategic location in Southeast Asia has paved the way for its trade and wealth. Needing a place to maintain its naval forces in the Far East, Great Britain claimed the island in 1819. It became prosperous as it supplied rubber for the rest of the world. In 1941 and 1942 Japanese forces took over the city and occupied it for three years.

After World War II, desire for an independent Singapore grew. It did not attain self-government until 1959, after a state of emergency declared by Britain and lasting for twelve years, brought on by Communist advances in nearby Malaya.

Singapore associated itself with the new nation of Malaysia, but in 1965 pulled out of that federation and became truly independent. Britain withdrew its armed forces from Singapore in 1971, encouraging the island nation to build up its own armed forces.