𝑠𝑡𝑜𝑟𝑦 》the drums

based off of a dream- don't judge, its really random.

➰➰➰➰➰➰➰➰➰➰➰

Boom. Boom.

I turn, thinking that the sound is getting louder. That's good. I'm walking in the right direction.

Boom. Boom.

The drums drill their pattern into my head.

Boom. Boom.

I don't remember how I got here. There was light, and screaming, and then darkness. And then cold. So much cold.

Boom. Boom.

I breathe deeply, my breath forming a cloud of mist that I could just make out in front of me. It's dark here, wherever 𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 is.

Boom. Boom.

My heavy backpack sends stabs of pain down my spine. Each step is a struggle. My shoulders ache. I'm not sure how long I've been here, but it feels like eternity.

Boom. Boom.

I was right. It's getting louder with each step I take. My shoes echo on the freezing stone floor.

Boom. Boom.

I round a corner, and there's light.
This tunnel is larger than the ones I've been in, and I can finally see the entirety of it.
It's ceiling is roughly hewn stone, something dark and cold that I haven't seen before. That's rare. I usually know the type. In my old life, I think I collected rocks and minerals as a hobby. I'm not sure, though. It feels like there's fog inside my head, obscuring my memories.
But whatever it is, the stone itself seems to be giving off waves of cold.
I run my fingers across the wall nearest me. It's like ice - sharp, and freezing to the touch. But it's as black as obsidian.

Boom. Boom.

Now the drums echo in my chest, the way bass speakers do when the music's too loud.
The light is getting steadily brighter as I go on as well. It's a white light, and emanates softly from a spot out of sight. 

Boom. Boom.

I take a breath. Mist.
I put one foot in front of the other.
Step. By. Step.
I focus on walking.
It's getting harder with each one.
My heart races.

Boom. Boom.

There it goes again, on and on, those tuneless drums. Maybe there's someone there that knows where I am.

Boom. Boom.

I round another corner. The light is much brighter now.
I'm temporarily blinded - the dark tunnels are quite different than this room.

Boom. Boom.

The place is massive, so massive that I can't even see the other side of the room. There are odd columns lining the edges of the cavern.

Boom. Boom.

I stand at one end, completely numb. I've never been in a cave or cavern this big. "Room" is simply too small of a description for this place.
The whole thing is an oval, with the far end barely visible in the white steam rising from the floor.

Boom. Boom.

It's louder than ever now. It rumbles throughout the cavern.

Boom. Boom.

It's always that same two beats.

Boom. Boom.

In the far end of the cavern, the light is so bright it's hard to look directly at it.

Boom. Boom.

I decide that that's where the drums are coming from.

Boom. Boom.

I start my hike across the cavern, each step making my heavy backpack send stabs of pain up my spine. I'm not sure what's in it.

Boom. Boom.

Eventually I make it to the far end.
The sound is even louder now - my ears throb with each beat of the drums.

BOOM. BOOM.

The mist here is so thick I can't see the wall, which judging by the curve of the walls I 𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 see, was no more then twenty feet in front of me.

BOOM. BOOM.

The drums are now so loud I wince with each beat.
I step forward, my hands held out in front of me.
My hands hit stone. All I see is white, but I can feel the freezing stone.

BOOM. BOOM.

It's louder than ever now- the stone reverberates with the beating of these monstrous drums.
I move my hands along the wall, getting panicked. There's no opening anywhere. It's just rough, cold, dark stone.

BOOM. BOOM.

There it goes again, those same two beats - almost like a...

Heartbeat.

I scream.