Chapter 1

Max Terrierson eyes snapped open when he heard that shout. Hearing that kind of shout just in the early morning hours before the sun comes up... never a good thing. Stumbling out of his bed and pulling his boots on, the teenaged boy quickly grabbed a fur vest before dashing out the front door and into a world of absolute chaos.

There were dragons everywhere.

Many were in the sky, attacking from above. But there were a few fighting on the ground or stuck in a trap. Vikings were running left and right with their weapons of choice, screaming at the top of their lungs their mighty roar cries. Poor Max was struggling to even get through the crowd. He was more worried about being trampled by his own people rather than getting eaten or burned to death by one of the many dragons flying about. All the while, the flocks of sheep and goats were trying to find shelter. The unlucky few were swiftly snatched by a passing dragon. Based on the looks that some of his neighbors were giving him, Max figured he should be finding shelter. But he wasn't a sheep, he was a Viking.

A dragon killer.

Just then, a meaty hand grabbed Max by the back of his neck. Glancing over his left shoulder, the skinny teen huffed when he saw that it was his brother Duke. The much larger Terrierson turned around to face the chieftain of the tribe as he exclaimed, "Found him!"

"Max, get inside NOW!" Rooster the Wise ordered, his head turned away from the Tabikat he was fighting. The large dragon had their jaws clamped shut by the chieftain's hands and was struggling to get free. Huffing, Max felt Duke release his hold on him. Deciding to not disobey the chieftain's orders yet, he scrambled to get over to the blacksmith's shop. There, he found his mentor sharpening some axes. Not even looking up, Pops Bassethund remarked, "I thought you got carried away."

"Nah, none of those dragons would want to pick a fight with me," Max declared, puffing his chest out pridefully. His little moment of glory was quickly extinguished though when Daisy Shih's voice called out behind him, "Cuz they knew it would be a waste of time fighting you." Groaning, Max turned around slowly to see her and the other teens in the village going off to put out the fires raging on around the village. They all looked like they were capable of killing a dragon. He was nothing more than a twig. Huffing, he grumbled, "Can I please go kill a dragon?"

"No, you stay here at the forge and keep sharpening those weapons. Try not to let any Parakeens come take you away. I'll be back, just gotta help the others. Hopefully, we won't see any-" Pops was saying as he grabbed a long sword when someone cried, "RABBU! Get down!"