Together We Stand

Angels and Demons had lived in "peace" for only seventeen years. After uniting against a common enemy, the leaders of the two entities signed a peace treaty, despite how reluctant the Angels were to join the treaty.

The leaders of the demons, Wentworth and Maggie Tozier, were able to convince them, and one of the leaders, Frank Kaspbrak, was able to convince his wife Sonia, saying it would be safer for their young son.

So, it became "peace." Meaning, the groups wouldn't attack each other, but they did not get along. The Demons controlled the South side of the land, and the Angels owned the North. Their lands were separated by the Black River, the only way that an Angel or Demon could be killed. It would suck their souls away, and they'd feel nothing, sunk at the bottom of the river forever.

No Demons or Angels were ever appealed to the idea of crossing the river, until Richie Tozier reached his seventeenth birthday and wandered along the river's edge with his best friends, planning to break the rules set aside to keep them safe.

•••

"Happy birthday!" Maggie exclaimed, hugging Richie, who tried to pull away from the hug.

"Mom, you're suffocating me!" Richie said, making Maggie release him with an eye roll.

Richie ran his hand through his hair before turning to the huge mirror in their living room to brush off his wings. They were huge and leathery, and made up a big part of who Richie was.

His wings, silver eyes, and small horns bursting from the top of his head showed he was a Demon, and he was damn proud of it. He didn't give a fuck if it meant Angels hated them; he hated them all right back.

"Where's dad?" Richie asked, folding his wings behind his back and putting in his eye contacts.

"Council meeting with the Angels. It's just him and the leader of the North," Maggie said, walking to the kitchen and grabbing a plate for Richie. "You need to eat. I'm sure you've got a busy day full of messing around with your friends."

Richie gasped in mock awe. "You know me so well," he said, eating as quickly as he could. "Love you! See you tonight!"

He ran outside and spread his wings open, lifting off into the air. The breeze in his face and running through his hair gave Richie a sense of freedom, one that he always craved.

"Hey! Dumbass!"

Richie stopped gliding and steadied himself, holding himself in midair, flapping his wings sporadically to stay airborne.

"Ah, Miss. Marsh! To what do I owe the pleasure of your company?" Richie asked as his red headed friend flew up to him, rolling her eyes.

"Bill and I have a surprise for you," she said, flying toward the ground. "Come on!"

"Can't we fly? Walking is so... Angel-like," Richie said in disgust, wrinkling his nose.

Bev smirked. "Oh look at me! I'm an Angel and I must walk everywhere to avoid ruffling my precious feathered wings!" she mocked in a shrill voice, dancing around.

Richie laughed at her, joining in on her mocking. "Careful, wouldn't want to run into the big bad Demons! If I see one I'll have to bleach my precious golden eyes out!" he screeched, making Bev snicker and link arms with him.

"Oh, what would I do without you, Richie?"

"You'd live a very boring life," he responded, smiling at his friend. "So what's the surprise?"

"You'll see. Come on, it's at Bill's place," Bev said, a sly smirk on her face.

When they got to Bill's, the pair invited themselves in and walked back to Bill's room. He was wrapping a large parcel, covering it with his body when the pair walked in.