Chapter 1: Dead Before Living

And then he's alive again.

No, this can't be; he knows he died of a fatal shot to his gut.

So why can he see a bright blue sky above him?

It takes him a moment to regain his bearings, though there isn't much to know. His attention slips from the fluffy clouds in the sky to the leafy green boughs of trees that covers the view. Then it slips from that to the cotton white blanket on top of his body. Then to the woven wicker basket that he seems to be inside.

From there he notices the cloaked person carrying his basket. How she walks on silently despite the tears rolling down her face. She pointedly avoids looking down into the basket at him and he can only try to figure out what is going on.

He attempts to sit up, yet finds himself unable to do so. How strange, why is his mobility so limited?

Tiny fists with stubby fingers comes into his view. Startled, he lets out a screech, one that sounded too similar to the baby cries he had heard in the orphanage. The cloaked woman looks down at him, clearly startled, large teary brown eyes wide. Quickly, she shushes him, rocking his basket slightly in an attempt to calm him. Strange words spill out of her mouth, hushed and fearful as she whispers to him in the basket.

[Ding!]

He stops at the sound of the chime, remembering that he had heard it before when he was dying. A familiar transparent screen pops up, the blue text declaring something he could not believe.

[Player has been successfully transferred into second life.]

[Welcome Player. Do you wish for more information?]

[YES] [NO]

This again?

As he quiets down in the basket the woman sighs in relief, thinking that she managed to calm the baby down. In reality, he is just silent as he ponders the screen in front of his eyes.

He is curious...

[Yes], he thinks, more information please.

The screen flashes green for a moment before returning to its original shade of transparent grey. The blue words on the screen has changed, forming a new message that he reads diligently.

[Welcome Player. Due to the shortcomings in your first life and your saintly and hardworking nature, you have been granted a second chance at life to finish your regrets. To help you, upon your death you were bound to a system to assist you in your new life. Certain keywords will bring you to different screens of the system which only you can see and interact with. The keywords are as listed:

Profile
Stats
Skills
Storage/inventory

Profile will bring you to what others can see from you if they have the appraisal skill. This includes information about your name, occupation, race, level, age, and titles that are visible. The number of people with the appraisal skill are few, so Player can choose what information to share. Stats will bring you to your physical statistics, showing your strengths and weaknesses in certain areas. By improving your stats you will gradually improve your physical capabilities. Skills will bring you to your skill set screen, where you can see what skills you have earned and how much you have mastered them since earning them. This includes the subclass skills of magic. By saying either storage or inventory, you will be able to bring up a slot screen where you can store items in another dimension without the risk of theft. You can also double screen these windows by compounding the command(e.g. 'profile and stats').