-9-

[JJ point of view]

Entry 12 - Thursday, November 7, 2019:

"Mommy, when can we go home?" Whit asked.

"Soon, Baby."

"I wanna go home." The way she looked back at me broke my heart.

"I know, Baby. We will soon, but we have to stay here for a little while longer." She sighed and walked back across the room to play with Mont. "What are we going to do?" I asked Spence quietly.

"We're going to stay here with our kids, JJ. Our team can handle this. It's like a vacation, you know? It's just us and our kids, no work in sight."

"Except that we're in a safe house." I said with a slight fluctuation in my voice and subtle gesture to the room.

Spence leaned in to hug me and whispered in my ear. "Everything is going to be okay, Jennifer. Trust me."

We parted and all I could do was look back into his eyes.

In that moment, I really did believe everything was going to be okay.

[Hotch point of view]

We packed up and got on that jet faster than I could say "wheels up." One of our own was in trouble. No, correction. Two of our own were in trouble, big trouble.

The fight seemed to last forever. Hill had an incredible, deadly headstart on us. Reid was the math person, but I didn't like our odds. I didn't like Reid and JJ's odds.

We contacted the Department of Justice to get the address of Reid and JJ's safe house. We drove over as fast as we could and parked a couple streets over. A SWAT helicopter was watching from above.

POP.

POP.

Pause.

BOOM.

Silence.

Silence.

Silence.

POP.

POP.

"What was that?" Derek asked as well all turned towards the source of the sound.

"Reports of shots fired and a small explosion near your location," I heard SWAT say in my ear. "Diverting to the scene."

"It's a distraction," Prentiss said.

"We're on our own now, and we're not waiting for backup. Hill is already here." We ran down the first street and up the next block. We finally reached the safe house, but what we saw wasn't good.

The two officers outside were down. Rossi and Derek reached down to their necks, but both shaking their heads.

The front door was cracked open. I nodded to the rest of the team. We moved forward.