End Of All Hope

CHAPTER 19 - End Of All Hope

Mary's POV

I was sitting on the bench inside of my warehouse, alone, just thinking. Eve had been missing for about a week and a half now, and I was honestly starting to run out of options. I had tried everything I could think of to find her. And yet had come up empty-handed each and every time. Even the entire hunter community had been on the lookout, and not one of them had brought any word back about her.

Cam, Gabe and I had been searching incessantly for her since the day she disappeared, but to no avail. It was like she had just vanished from the face of the earth, leaving no traces behind.
I shook my head forcefully and bit my lip, trying not to cry. Not knowing what happened to her was torture.

I looked down at my hands, that were slightly shaking. I had come here to think, and coming here to clean always seemed to ease my mind. It was a mindless task that allowed me to think and evaluate my options more calmly.

I was currently cleaning my pride and honour, my very own P220 SIG Sauer Zeus. The one that dad gave me on my 18th birthday. It was rather amusing to think that all the girls my age would rather get a ring or a fancy dress, but I wasn't exactly like the other girls, was I?

No, I was a hunter. I grew up knowing that the monster under your bed is very much real. That the shadow inside your wardrobe is more than what it seems. That there were things that lived hidden in the dark, things that enjoyed nothing more than to kill. And they would take every chance to do so. It was hard growing up like that.

It was hard to grow up knowing that they existed, and even harder to end their pathetic lives. I grew up learning everything about them, from their customs to their physiology, but more importantly, how to kill them. Vampires, Werewolves, Shapeshifters, Demons... They all had their weaknesses, and I knew them all.

I looked down at my hands, realizing then that I had already finished cleaning my handgun. I put it aside, with a sigh, one single thought flowing through my mind. If I ever find the bastards who took my best friend, I will murder them. Even if that means killing humans.

I picked up the Mossberg JM Pro and began to dismount it, with the intention of cleaning it. My thoughts drifting back to last few days I had seen Eve, as they had so often. I tried so hard to find a pattern, but I couldn't. I tried to remember everything, but there was nothing out of place.

We went to the club, she ditched Gabe, made out with a woman and the next day she went to my house and we talked about... I stopped dead on my tracks, as ever so slowly realization hit me. But could it be?

Since that night on the club, that same woman kept appearing into Eve's life. I distinctively remembered Eve telling me about how she showed up at her work. I had brushed it off as an attempted flirt, but now I wasn't so sure. Maybe she did have something to do with her disappearance. It was a long shot but it wouldn't hurt to check it out.

I heard the door of the warehouse open, and I knew that Cam was about to walk in. We had this strange connection where one always knew when the other was near, but I liked it. I watched as he walked in, not saying a word as he walked towards me. He came closer and sat by my side. We stayed in silence for a couple of minutes until he finally spoke.

"Babe, you need to get out of here. It's been days since you've locked yourself in this place." He said worriedly. I sighed, knowing that he was right.

I just didn't know what to do, I felt helpless, and that was a basically unknown feeling when it came to me. I had always known how to take care of myself, and I never really had to worry about Cam or Gabe, because I knew fully well that they could handle themselves also, but Eve was different.