12. Taya

This is the end of ACT ONE! 

You can kiss the long-winded exposition chapters goodbye because the set up is over. It's time to get into the best parts. And trust me, it's going to be very exciting and thrilling. So hold onto your seat. 

Comment, comment, comment. I cannot stress this enough. Hate it? Love it? Have questions? Comment! Or DM me, I LOVE feedback, and I need it. I need it badly. 

For those of you who have been returning time and time again, who have been with me since the beginning. This chapter is dedicated to you. 

Happy Reading, I'll see you soon!

---------------

"Navi?"

After cleaning up the spilled coffee and the broken shards of porcelain glass on the floor, we had all huddled around Navi once again, who was sitting on the couch, eyes wide with horror. Lips glued shut.

"Give her some room," Charlie said, as he finished sweeping up the mug remains by her feet. He took her hand and led her back to the couch where she'd been sitting before.

Sam was by her side instantly and clasped her hands in both of his. "Navi?" he asked gently.

She took a deep breath, and then our Navi was back. "It's a bit of a long story, but I have to go back to the beginning," she said, looking to Theo for the go-ahead.

"The more information we have, the better we'll be," he replied, taking a seat, which encouraged the rest of us to do the same. Once we weren't all huddled around her, Navi (who hated being the center of attention) relaxed and began.

"I don't remember a lot from when I was little. But there was this story that my Nana used to tell me before I'd go to sleep." Her eyes got this faraway glow as if her Nana was sitting there in front of her now. "It was very dangerous to be unnat, or special, where we lived. Nana's brother was taken away when they were young because he was like me, it was my Nana's worst fear that I'd get taken too." she trailed off. This time it wasn't just Navi who was feeling...well, I guess whatever the emotion is when you're taken away from your family is at a young age. "Sorry, sorry, the point. The story was told to all of the children in my country, I think, about the Injeeniyar and the wailing boy. Basically, every time the boy cried, the sun rose or something like that. So the Injeeniyar stole him in the dead of night and hooked him up to this machine that sucked the cries out of him so that the Injeeniyar could power his evil invention that was supposed to...I think it was supposed to let him have all the livestock he wanted or something stupid like that. But the point is, I think Baylor is going to use Campion like the Injeeniyar used the wailing boy, as a power source or something." Navi concluded.

There was this silence that fell over us, haunting and strange. Like the feeling when you're alone, and you know nobody is behind you, but you turn back to look anyways. A chill ran up my spine, and I shivered.

"Batteries," Charlie muttered to himself. "Just one big battery."

"How much power could Campion generate? And what could Baylor need all that energy for Luce?"

Poor Luce, she was working intellectual double-time lately. "I'm not quite sure, I haven't met the kid yet, but I suppose...I mean, if we are gonna get really theoretical with this, there is the potential that he could generate unlimited energy, for basically forever."

"Unlimited energy? That's basically uncontrollable, unbridled power...for someone." Sam said with a whistle. "Anybody want to rule the world?"

"We need to get into that file," Theo said, taking a long sip of his coffee. "Jack, the keywords?"