Chapter 13

Echoheart lifted her head groggily. 

She was lying in the grass, beside the Thunderpath where she'd fallen. Memories flooded her mind. Bumblefrost had saved her life, again. What was it with Bumblefrost and saving her life? Maybe he was just trying to prove to her that he was a good cat, or maybe he just didn't want Whispersong to have to bear with the grief if Echoheart had died. Then an image flashed in Echoheart's mind: of Bumblefrost lying in the Thunderpath, helpless, as the monster sped over him. She'd blacked out just then, and she still didn't know what had happened after that. Echoheart sat up in worry. Bumblefrost couldn't  be dead. Blood rushed to her head and she became dizzy, black spots dotting her vision. She fell back to the ground, blackness flashing before her again. She heard some cat comfort her and press herbs on her leg, then she slipped into unconsciousness again.

Echoheart opened her eyes. It was now dark, and the crescent moon shone through the thin clouds. She turned her head and saw Whispersong curled up beside Bumblefrost. The two were fast asleep, their flanks rising and falling together. The DayClan warrior's fur was only bearing a few scratches, but other than that, he was unharmed.

Echoheart sighed in relief and laid back down. She silently thanked StarClan for saving him. Even though it felt like StarClan couldn't see them through the lights of the Twolegplace, Echoheart knew they were there, and she felt their guiding presence.

"You're awake," meowed a relieved voice. Echoheart turned her head and saw Pansy gazing down at her. Echoheart guessed she was on watch.

"Yes," Echoheart rasped, feeling her voice crack. "I'm okay, right? No major injuries?"

"Yes, you're okay," soothed Pansy. "Whispersong made sure of it."

"And Bumblefrost's okay too?" she added quietly.

"Yes, he's just fine."

"Good," Echoheart murmured.

"Now, get some sleep," Pansy murmured.

Echoheart barely heard her; she was already drifting back into unconsciousness.

The next time Echoheart opened her eyes, the sun was rising up above the hills beyond them, and Pansy and Hazel were still asleep, curled up next to each other in the long grass. River was walking up the hill with Bumblefrost, each carrying a dark gray bird in their jaws. They were talking to each other like old friends, nodding as they walked side by side.

Whispersong ran to meet Bumblefrost and sniffed the prey. "What are they?" she asked.

"Pigeons," meowed River, dropping the bird. "They usually live in Twolegplaces."

"Oh," meowed Whispersong.

River padded over to his sisters and prodded them awake. "It's time to eat. We need to get moving."

Hazel lifted her head. "But what about Echoheart?"

"What about me?" Echoheart asked, getting shakily to her paws.

"Oh," meowed Hazel, looking embarrassed when Echoheart overheard her. "I thought you wouldn't be able to walk after your... injuries."

"I'm fine," Echoheart insisted. "Just a few scratches."

"But how are you feeling ?" Whispersong asked.

Echoheart shrugged. "I'm alright."

"Good." Whispersong smiled, looking her over. "You look good to go. The scrapes might sting, but you look fine other than that."

Echoheart blinked. "Why did I fall on the Thunderpath? I felt fine until I suddenly fell," Echoheart murmured, recalling that moment; she'd been running along behind Whispersong, then her paws had failed and she was on the ground, her side scraping along the hard gravel.