Chapter 19

"What?" Echoheart bolted upright from sleep. Whispersong had just let out a gasp of fear, and Echoheart's stomach churned with worry as she stared at her sister. "What's wrong?" she demanded.

Whispersong was trembling. "DawnClan is in danger!" she breathed.

"How do you know?" asked Echoheart, feeling Bumblefrost stir beside her.

"I had a dream," Whispersong whimpered. "There was pain, and blood. I woke up remembering that dock, tansy, and goldenrod were used to treat deep wounds."

Echoheart narrowed her eyes. She knew her sister only remembered which herbs were which if some cat she knew well was in danger. "But it could be anything; it might even be us. We're still not healed all the way from the battle with those rogues," she scowled, remembering the evil glint in the rogue cats' eyes.

"No," Whispersong insisted. "I checked you two; you're fine."

"Of course we're fine," Bumblefrost yawned, just waking up. He laid his tail on Whispersong's side. "Why wouldn't we be?"

Whispersong told him about her dream. "I realized that the only other cats I was close to were DawnClan cats. They're injured. Something bad is happening!" she howled.

"Well, we can't help them," Bumblefrost stated. "We're nearly a moon's  travels away!"

Whispersong glared at him. "Cats might die!"

Bumblefrost licked her cheek. "It'll be fine. You'll see."

Whispersong didn't answer. She rubbed her face into Bumblefrost's fur, moaning quietly.

"Well," Echoheart meowed quietly. "Think about how worried they are about us. We could be dead for all they know. And they can't do anything if we're in danger, right?" Echoheart asked her sister.

"No," Whispersong murmured quietly.

"Well we can't help them any more than they can to help us," Echoheart pointed out.

"But what if it's the danger ?" Whispersong breathed, her fear-scent filling the cave.

Echoheart froze in fear. She hadn't thought of that!

"The 'danger'?" Bumblefrost echoed in confusion.

"We had a dream from StarClan; a danger is coming," Whispersong murmured. "We should have told you earlier. I'm sorry, we should have—"

"Then why did you leave if this danger is so bad?" asked Bumblefrost, sounding completely bewildered.

"We had a dream from StarClan telling us that we had to leave for the mountains; that the mountains could help with the danger," Echoheart told the confused DayClan warrior, trying to sound calm, but fear was racing through her body. What if the danger had  come? It'd be too soon! What if they got back to find the Clans gone ? To find their Clanmates dead ?

"It can't be the danger, whatever it is," Bumblefrost murmured. "StarClan wouldn't have sent you away."

"I guess not," Echoheart murmured.

"So why did you  two get this dream?" asked Bumblefrost.

"Well, we got the first dream when we were six moons old, almost apprentices. There... there was a prophecy in it," Whispersong began, and for once Echoheart didn't stop her. Echoheart trusted Bumblefrost now; and he needed to know why they had left.

"When you were kits ?" Bumblefrost exclaimed. "You were given a prophecy that  long ago?"

"Yes," Whispersong nodded. "A StarClan cat came to visit us and told us this: 'Darkness will veil the sky, but with the whispering voice of two, the forest, as one, will echo with light'."