2. Day One

"Maria, I'm sorry, I just can't - I don't think I can have Steve be my bodyguard," Natasha pleaded as she circled around her friend. Ten minutes of pacing. Ten minutes of Natasha pacing around the room and Maria ignoring her pacing. Well, technically Maria was currently sifting through the latest news stories about Natasha, picking out the most bizarre ones and occasionally showing them to her. But that didn't matter because it didn't remotely help Natasha at all.

Maria looked up, exasperated, from her phone and stared Natasha down with her intense blue eyes.

"I already told you - we're not changing this. Steve is by far the most qualified man for the job. Besides he -"

"Shouldn't I get a say in this?" Natasha cut through, crossing her arms. Maria raised a dark eyebrow and paired it with a pointed expression.

"The last time we let you choose your bodyguard, he turned out to be crap. Complete crap. What happened between you and Rogers anyways? Did he make fun of your nose? Did he ask for your signature? Or - oh my God - do you have the hots for him?"

Natasha vigorously shook her head. "God no, I would never. He just - he rubs me in the wrong way, you know?"

The doorbell rang just then, and both girls looked to the door. They looked back at each other and exchanged a glance.

"Well, whatever it is, you've got to work it out or suck it up. Pick your poison," Maria replied with a shrug of the shoulders, and headed over to the door. Again. Not helpful. Natasha simply gave a small huff and followed suit.

He looks like he jumped out of a "James Bond" movie, was Natasha's first thought when she saw her bodyguard standing in the doorway. He was sporting a well-tailored - a goddamn well-tailored - black suit with a handsome black tie. Whoever tailored his suit needs a raise.

Natasha really wanted to shut that inside voice up.

Hiding any personal thoughts of he's-so-rude-but-he's-so-hot, she gave him a tiny smirk. "I love how you have to wear a whole three-piece suit and everything, while I can just stroll out wearing sweatpants."

"Shut up," was Steve's genius comment. Natasha didn't know if he was joking or not. Usually she was better at reading expressions.

Maria laughed lightly at the banter and put a hand on each of their shoulders.

"Nat," she cocked her head towards the redhead. "Why don't you tell Steve what you're going to do with him today?"

"Well, that's a great idea, Maria. Let's see, there's..." Natasha pretended to count on her fingers, "...shopping and shopping and shopping. Isn't that great?" She gave a teasing smile, putting her hands on her hips. Steve looked unimpressed.

"Yes, well, I have some matters to take care of - I'm moving into my boyfriend's apartment - so Tasha's not doing much today." She patted Steve on the shoulder. "I better get going now. You kids have fun!"

Maria gave Natasha a thumbs up of encouragement as she walked out of the door. Natasha locked eyes with Steve then and felt a wave of dread nearly overwhelm her. To think that she would be spending her entire day with this man... and her entire week... and month... and if he got lucky, a year...

She mentally shook those dreadful thoughts out of her head. She didn't have time for this.

"Let's go."

∙∙∙✩∙∙∙

To no one's surprise, the two did not speak for the first thirty minutes of the car ride, which was terrible considering the fact that the car ride was expected to be just over thirty minutes long.