Chapter 20

Jaxon arrived around seven and we headed out to the Mexican restaurant. He still wore his work attire—dark-wash jeans and black fitted shirt, along with his motorcycle boots. His hair was unruly, just the way I liked it, and when I first laid eyes on him, I stifled a sigh.

We made our way down First Street, Jaxon talking about the tattoo parlor and his art, Adam discussing the upcoming basketball season. I felt light, happy, and proud to have my two favorite boys spending the evening together, getting to know each other. I hoped they could each see what I admired in the other. Jaxon reached for my hand.

"Can I tag along to one of your brother's games this season?" He ran his thumb along the inside of my palm, leaving me momentarily breathless.

"That would be really cool," Adam said.

I could tell Adam liked Jaxon. Admired him, even. He seemed to be asking nonstop questions, and looking for college advice, too. And I guess it made sense, since Adam had never really had a positive male presence in his life. Maybe he and Jaxon could become friends.

Unless Jaxon and I didn't work out. Which was likely, given my f**ked-up history. But I had a feeling Jaxon would remain friends with him regardless.

The thought of not having Jaxon in my life filled me with such melancholy that I inhaled sharply through my nose.

I needed to start being honest with myself, because it was undeniable. I was falling for Jaxon Walker. Fuck me.

At the restaurant we overindulged on chips and salsa, and Jaxon and I drank a whole pitcher of margaritas by ourselves. Adam asked if he could have a taste of one and I gave him a stern look.

Jaxon shook his head and laughed. "You realize, Ashlyn, that Adam has probably been around beer and weed? I mean, what were you doing senior year?"

"Yeah, sis." Adam smirked. "Don't worry; you know I'm responsible. But every now and again . . ."

I covered my ears with both of my hands. "Don't want to hear about it."

Jaxon's mouth dropped open and he nudged my knee under the table. "I've never seen this side of you."

I made a face at him. "What side?"

"The protective, motherly side," he said. "I kind of like it."

"She can be a bigger pain in the ass than our own mother," Adam said.

I pointed an accusing finger at him. "Hey, somebody's got to be."

Adam and Andrea laughed and then started talking about a huge homework assignment due Monday in one of their shared classes at school.

I felt Jaxonstaring at me, a lopsided grin plastered on his lips. "What?"

"Nothing."

He kissed my hair and then brought his mouth to my ear. "Does this mean there's a possibility you'd take care of me someday, too? Protect my heart just as fiercely?"

His words stole my breath away.

I swallowed roughly. I wanted to admit that, yes, I was beginning to feel that way about him. I didn't want to hurt him or see him harmed by anyone else, either.

"There's always a possibility." I found I couldn't meet his eyes.

He lifted my chin with his thumb. I saw my longing reflected in his gaze.

I was overwhelmed by the immediate closeness of him, and the feeling was staggering. His knee brushing mine, his breath against my hair. And in that moment I realized I didn't want to be anywhere else in the world except next to him.