27- The Raven Queen

"Do not look so nervous," Ivar's gentle tone breaks into Artemis's thoughts. He reaches over from his throne to grab her hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze, "You have nothing to fear."

"I am not afraid," Her eyes shift to his, giving his hand a squeeze in return, "What I feel is guilt."

"You should not be riddled with guilt, you've done nothing wrong."

"I am taking a child away from her family."

"She is my niece," Ivar argues, "She will be among family."

"But she would not yet understand the circumstances that I have put her in."

"Stop your worrying," He tells her, "Besides, we do not even know if my brothers will agree."

"They will agree," Her reply was quick and stern, "They have no other option."

"Then let us think of this as an accomplishment on your part, hmm?" Ivar squeezes her hand again, reaching over to brush his lips over her knuckles in a kiss. Artemis turns to offer her husband a smile to which he returns. They both look towards the doors once Hvitserk and Heamund enter with Bjorn and Ubbe in tow. Torvi was absent.

"It is good to see you again, Artemis," Bjorn comments when he finally reaches them, arms crossed over his front as usual, "Though it is a shame it has to be under such circumstances." The Queen nods in acknowledgement.

"I'm sorry if I have caused you and Torvi any grief." She replies back. Perhaps it was too much for her to handle.

"She is a bit...unwell, I'm afraid." Replies Ubbe, his blue eyes shifting toward a silent Ivar. Artemis turns to look at Ivar, and he only rolls his eyes at Ubbe's statement, but motions for her to continue. He wanted his wife to handle it, and continues to watch them with curious eyes.

"I...am sorry to hear that. Please send her our regards," She says after a moment, "I understand you have come to a decision."

"Yes," Bjorn replies bitterly, "We agree to your terms." Artemis felt her heart hammering in her chest in both excitement and grief. Her plan worked, and she would be taken more seriously as Queen, but she will hurt others in the process, and that was a burden she'd carry with her for quite some time. She was sure that Bjorn and her were both even at this point.

"Excellent," Ivar finally says with a clap of his hands, "Then it's settled."

"You keep your end of the bargain, and I'll keep mine," Bjorn mutters, eyes icy as he watched the pair. Ivar's demeanor immediately changes, like a wolf preparing to attack, but before he could utter any harsh words, Artemis speaks quickly, placing a hand on her husband's knee.

"With all due respect, Bjorn, you came to us for help. I do not think it wise for you to make such statements," Ivar huffs but let's her speak her kinder words, "But of course, if we have your word, then you have ours. Hedeby will be yours come Spring." She finishes, standing up and walking directly in front of Bjorn. She turns her head up in a way to get a better look at the giant man.

"Asa will be safe with me," She says quietly, watching the surprise swim in his eyes, "But do not cross me, Bjorn Ironside. I may have favored your plight, but my loyalty lies with Ivar and Kattegat." Her voice was stern, enough to shock both Bjorn and Ubbe. Her eyes shift to Ubbe as if giving him warning as well.

"You are not the girl I found hiding in a crate quite some time ago." Bjorn mutters, and Artemis could have sworn she saw the beginnings of a smirk curving at the edge of his lips.

"That girl is gone," Was her simple reply, whirling round to walk back to her grinning husband.

...