Because I Know You

Type knows Kohm, Techno, and Champ. He knows the look of utter horror on Kohm's face as he appraises Tharn's physical appearance. He knows what it means when Champ pulls his head slightly into his shoulders, his eyes widening with the effort of trying, and failing, to keep his face expressionless. He knows that the slight twitch in Techno's cheek means that he's clenching his teeth, and that he probably won't say anything voluntarily for the rest of the night. He feels the confusion, anger, shock, and even disappointment radiating at him form the eyes that he knows.

     Tharn stiffens, his smile becoming frozen in place. He's hurt and confused, quickly realising that Type's friends were not in the least prepared for his appearance. He steps discreetly away from Type, letting his muscular arm around Type's shoulder slip off naturally.

     "Please, make yourselves at home. I'm almost done with dinner. Ai'Type, will you please come help me for a moment?"

     Type winces at the look in Tharn's eyes as he passes him. He glances at the hard line of Kohm's mouth before he turns to follow his lover, and knows it means a harsh round of questions and rebuke.

     "You didn't tell them." It's not a question. Tharn won't look at the younger male and his arms are crossed in front of him in a protective gesture. Type steps forward, arms held out helplessly.

     "I did. I told them we've been dating for a year, we're in love, and we're moving in together."

     "Don't bullshit me, Type. You didn't tell them I... That i'm not..."

     He looks down, his eyes getting watery. Type knows Tharn. Knows that the older guy is jumping to the worst conclusions possible.

     "Baby, baby, I'm sorry. I was just-"

     "Are you ashamed of being with me?"

     "No Tharn, how could you even think that? I love you. I'm not ashamed of that."

     "Then are you ashamed of being in love with a boy?"

Type hesitates for a moment because the truth is, he had thought of it. Thought of Tharn with a smaller face and thinner hands. Thought of Tharn with a tiny waist and long hair falling down his back. Thought of Tharn's eyes, Tharn's lips, smiling back at him from a woman's face. Thought of Tharn's muscular thighs being just a little bit softer, just a little bit easier to squeeze. Tharn's arms reaching out from a woman's body, caressing Type's back with delicate fingers. He had thought of it countless times, wondered what it'd be like, not having to hide the person he loves, being able to proudly show them off to the world. He had thought of it, but never wished for it, because he is proud. Proud of Tharn's hot temperament and wide smile. Proud of Tharn's caring nature and giant heart. And he really does love Tharn, adore him and his handsome face and muscular thighs and wide back. So, yes, he's thought of it. But he'd never wish to change anything about his perfect lover.

     "No. I don't care that you're a guy. That's not why I didn't tell them."

     "Then why?"

     And Type doesn't answer, because it's hard to admit that he was scared. Not scared of rejection or disgust or anything like that. Kohm is gay, after all. Techno is dating N'Kla even though he was Bi and dating only girls before meeting his lover. No, he was scared of not knowing. Not knowing how they would react, not knowing how they would feel about this sudden and rather unexpected development. And he was terrified that they wouldn't know either, that the moment the words left his mouth, they would look at him like a stranger, like someone they don't know, don't understand. And he would die if he had to face that look alone.