7 Engagement

"This is our chief." The Gremlins bowed.

"Bow!" Vi hissed through the side of her mouth at Bones.

"They're only three foot tall!" Bones muttered under his breath as he begrudgingly knelt.

"We bring a gift of peace." Spock held up an ornate box.

They muttered to themselves before the chief held up a delicate furry hand.

Spock laid it gently in his palm.

He opened it. It was a small Starship insignia.

"I like this very much." The cheif signalled one of the other Gremlins.

They presented a tiny head dress to Spock. "For our continued peaceful relationship."

"What is your species called?" Fred had been quiet up until then.

"We are the Denalti." The gremlin puffed out his little chest.

"Thank you."

They bowed and left. Scotty beamed them back up. "How'd it go?"

"We have brokered a good relationship with the Denalti." Spock took his phaser out and tossed it to another crew member.

Vi examined the tiny head dress. "It's so small." It had minute feathers making up the majority of it.

"I shall complete the mission report." Spock touched Vi's shoulder gently and disappeared.

"You got any big plans?" Bones fell into step with Spock.

Spock looked confused.

"You're planning on repopulating New Vulcan. So..." Bones let his sentence trail off meaningfully.

"I do not like discussing the manner of our relationship, but to satisfy your inquiry no doctor our relationship is not yet a sexual one. We have yet to bond as mates." Spock said somewhat stiffly.

"Sorry." Bones pulled an exaggerated face.

Spock archived the head dress and walked away deep in thought.

That night he approached Vi as she worked on her engine.

"I was wondering if I could have a moment of your time." Spock stood respectfully with his hands held behind his back.

"Anything Spock." Vi dumped the wrench and wiped her hands on her trousers.

"Logically if you are Vulcan and so am I, then in light of Vulcan's demise, we owe a certain responsibility to our species." Spock began somewhat awkwardly.

"Oh Spock, for the first time say how you really feel. No logic, no higher good. Emotions." Vi laid a hand on his cheek.

"I have the deepest affection for you."

"As do I."

"Would you do me the honor of being my life long mate?"

"I thought you'd never ask." Vi laughed a little, her eyes tearing happily.

He smiled. "My mother used to say that if you truly love someone you should tell them before it is too late."

"She was wise." Vi said softly.

He got down on one knee. "May I present you with this ring symbolising our eternal partnership?"

Vi took the ring with one hand and pulled Spock up with the other. "Logically, heck yeah."

He gave one of his rare chuckling laughs and gently kissed her.

"I'll get it grimy if I put it on now." Vi looked at her oily hands.

"Then perhaps it would be best for me to put it in your pocket until you can suitably clean your hands." Spock slipped it gently into her front trouser pocket.

The next day she got a chain and put the ring on it immediately, slipping it over her head. It was hidden by her shirt but she knew it was there, gently resting against her skin.

"Anything new with you and pointy ears?" Bones rolled up to Vi at a lunch break.

"Why do you call him that?" She laughed.

"You all call me Bones. I'm just pointing out the obvious." Bones shrugged.

"Fair enough. I don't know if he likes it, but you can try your luck." She smiled and carried her lunch to a small table where Spock was already waiting.

They ate quietly, laughing and murmuring.

"What's with those two?" Kirk plonked down next to Bones.

"Beats me." Bones shrugged and sipped his beer. "Spock insists they're not banging, but they seem pretty close to me."

Kirk winced. "Subtle Bones."

"When should we inform the others of our engagement?" Spock finished his lunch.

"I don't care. I'll let you decide." Vi scrunched up her paper bag and tossed it in the bin across the room.

"Perhaps we should tell them sooner then later. They might be offended if we were to keep it to ourselves for an extended period of time." Spock said meditatively.

"Alright. Would you object if I told the whole lunch room right now?" Vi giggled.

"If that would make you happy." Spock smiled.

She thought for a moment. "Hang on."

Vi slipped over to where Kirk and Bones were sat. "So just so you two are the first to know, me and Spock are engaged." She pulled the chain out from under her shirt and showed them the ring.

"Holy crap." Bones breathed.

"Congratulations." Kirk shook her hand. Spock came over and Kirk clapped him on the back.

"You gonna tell everyone or should I?" Bones slapped Spock on the shoulder.

"I might tell the bridge later." Vi said.

"Let's get back to work." Kirk stood.

The rest of the day passed uneventfully. Vi finished her engine and attached it back where it belonged.

That night she stood in the bridge, looking at all of the crew. Mr Sulu, Nyato Uhura, Pavel Chekhov, Kirk, Darren the computer guy.

So many more that were in their own wings. Montgomery Scotty, Leonard "Bones" McCoy, Jayla, Fred.

Her friends. Her eyes lingered on the last member on the bridge. Commander Spock. Much more then a commander to her.