12 Death in the family

It was the last day of Spock's leave.

The crew were sad to go. They had fun playing with Vi's kids, and they knew how much Vi and Spock missed each other.

"Come home safe." Vi gave him one last tight hug.

He drew his hand reluctantly out of hers. "I will try to return safely."

A blaring siren rang out overhead. People came running towards the Enterprise.

"What's happening!" Vi grabbed a passerby, a purple haired woman.

"There's some kind of problem with one of the sky trains. It's carrying red matter and it's out of control. When it crashes this whole planet's gonna go up!" The woman struggled to get away and kept running.

"Where!" Vi shouted over the din. All the screaming ones were off worlders.

"The seventh line." A Vulcan elder said calmly.

Vi worked out the distance in her mind. "How long until it's supposed to crash?"

"The expected derail point is the Canyon pass. It has an unusually sharp curve, and the train's high speed renders it's statistical likelihood of making the turn extremely low."

"But hasn't anyone tried to stop the train?"

"I believe that a few did. All attempts were unsuccessful, so the next logical step was to evacuate."

Vi turned to Spock. "I can't let your planet die again."

"What exactly do you intend to do?" Spock said worriedly.

"I'm going to stop the train. If no one stops the train then this whole planet's doomed. The Enterprise is the only Federation vessel here and it can't fit all these people. The future of Vulcan is here. And it needs protection." Vi said determinedly.

"I refuse to let you undertake such a mission." Spock grabbed her hand. "You will come onto the Enterprise where your safety is garunteed."

"I'm sorry. You know I'm right. Get Bones to take the kids. If that train crashes thousands will die. Children just like ours. No one else is suited for this."

"Explain to me why you alone are capable of this mission?"

"Because it's line seven Spock. I've taken that train. I helped build part of the line. I'm good with machines. I can fix it. And I'm expendable. The future of Vulcan lies with you."  It was as if no one else existed except her and Spock.

He gazed at her as the throng of people dashing for the ship got thicker and louder.

She squeezed his hand and dropped it. Vi ran for line seven.

Spock flicked open his communicator. "Jim I require a favor."

Two seconds later Jim had Bones holding the triplets as he and Spock dashed after Vi.

"Dammit Jim I'm a doctor not a nanny!" Bones hollered after them.

Vi had reached the line. She climbed on to a platform to wait. She could see the train as a speck in the distance, rapidly approaching.

She tapped on the computer. The train was going a rapid 345 vulcajewels a second. It was piloted, but Vi was certain that the pilot must not be conscious if he was even still on board.

The train came closer and closer. Spock and Kirk came running onto the platform.

"What are you doing here?"

"Clearly, we are assisting you." Spock said, poised to jump on the train.

All three jumped as the train hurtled by.