Nine

As soon as they all walked back down the aisle they were taken to go get pictures with the bride and groom while everyone else shuffled back into the hotel and to the hall where the reception would be held.

Once the pictures were taken, the group headed to the hall and were welcomed with soft music playing in the background. When Steve and Peggy arrived, their first dance song began to play as they reached the makeshift dance floor. Everyone watched in tears yet again.

When their dance finished, the newly wedded couple began to make their rounds to greet friends and family. Meanwhile, Bucky and Sam got up to go to the bar and grab a drink. As they waited, Sharon came up to them and greeted both with a hug.

From across the room, Ava spotted the interaction. While she wasn't the jealous type, there was something about seeing Sharon hug Bucky. Maybe it was because Sharon was the complete opposite of her. She felt as though she didn't compare to her and even seemed to grasp Bucky's attention.

Ava looked away with a lump in her throat. Wanda was talking about her brother but Ava could not concentrate on her story. Self-consciousness built up in her; she could feel her self esteem failing her. She knew better to compare herself to anyone but yet here she was.

"Earth to Ava!" She heard Wanda snap her fingers.

Ava looked at her, not realizing she had ended up watching Bucky again as he laughed with Sharon; watching Sharon place a hand on Bucky's bicep as she spoke and Bucky leaning into her. Wanda frowned at the look on Ava's face. It was sad—heartbroken.

"You okay?"

Ava took in a deep breath. "Yeah, I just... Thinking..."

"About?"

"Nothing important," Ava whispered before reaching out for the glass of water in front of her and taking a large gulp.

The reception picked up again, with speeches from Bucky and Ava respectively, dances with their parents, garter and bouquet tosses along with other wedding party traditions. When they opened the dance floor for everyone, it filled up quickly. Ava didn't feel like dancing though. She hated to be a bummer but she felt defeated.

Not wanting to be a bother to anyone that was having fun, she stepped out of the hall and began to walk to the room. She didn't even realize she was crying until she tasted the saltiness of her tears as it reached her mouth.

Back at the party, no one realized Ava was missing until 30 minutes later. Natasha was the first one to ask where she was. Wanda shrugged, replying that she had seen her at the table before getting up to dance the Cha-Cha Slide. Bucky pulled out his phone and texted Ava, hoping she would reply back quickly.

"Was she okay when you talked to her earlier?" Natasha asked Wanda, remembering that they were having a conversation before dinner was served.

"Yeah," Wanda nodded but then tilted her head. "Well... she seemed sad right before the food was brought out. I didn't ask why."

Bucky furrowed his brows. Sad? Why would Ava be sad? She was super happy all morning and afternoon. What happened?

Looking at his phone, he saw that Ava hadn't replied. He decided to step away from the group and call her. But after a couple of rings and her voicemail greeting, he started to worry. Like Ava, he also disappeared without telling anyone.

He headed up to the room, hoping Ava was there and not out by the water so late or alone. He basically jogged to the room, unlocking the door and pushing it open. The lamp from the bedside table lit the room and he let out a heavy breath. Closing the door softly, he walked over to find Ava laying on her side.

"Ava?" He whispered.

She stayed silent, hoping he would think she was asleep and leave her alone. But she gave away her facade when she sniffled ever so slightly. Ava listened to his footsteps softly padding across the carpeted floor and in the dark of the room watched him crouch down next to her. He brushed a strand of hair out of her face and his face fell.

Ava had tear-stained cheeks and a red nose. She had been crying and it felt like someone had ripped his heart out and stomped on it.

"Ava, what happened?"

She shook her head not wanting to speak, afraid that her voice would crack. But the way Bucky looked into her eyes made her want to cry more. She could see the sincerity in them and knew he didn't purposely mean to hurt her. It was all her fault.

Bucky swallowed hard but nodded. "If you don't want to talk about it, it's fine. I get it. But I'm staying here with you."

"No," Ava croaked out. "Go to the party."

"Ava, no. I wouldn't be able to enjoy it if I know you're here in the room upset and alone."

She closed her eyes and sighed. She couldn't stop what was coming out of her mouth but she couldn't take it back. It was word vomit.

"Sharon's probably upset you're not down there..."

Bucky processed her statement slowly—deliberately. Ava couldn't be serious.

"What do you me-what are you talking about? Sharon? Sharon Carter? Peggy's cousin?"

"Don't act like you don't know." Her tone was sharp.

"I don't know!" Bucky stood and Ava sat up in bed. "You don't want to tell me what's wrong but then you go and make that sort of comment?"

"I saw you talking to her at the bar! The way she was looking at you—the way you were looking at her! I'm not stupid, Bucky! If this was a one-time thing, you should've just said it."

"Ava, are you even listening to yourself right now?" Bucky scoffed, not sure if she was kidding or not. He racked his brain for any moments during the reception that Ava could've mistaken him being more than friendly with Sharon.

She had mentioned the bar but the only time he was at the bar with Sharon was when he and Sam went to go get a drink while Peggy and Steve greeted family and friends who made the trip for their wedding. They were talking about Steve and Peggy, nothing else. Bucky had said something funny making Sharon laugh and then she placed her hand on his arm, slightly squeezing his bicep.

Oh.

That's what Ava saw.

A simple gesture that anyone would give to someone else. And if Sharon had any other meaning behind it, it went over Bucky's head. He didn't like Sharon like that. He had never been interested in her, period. But he could see where Ava was coming from. He had been there before; those intense feelings, assumptions, jealousy even, taking over his heart and head.

"You don't even have anything else to say..."

"I don't because whatever you assumed is wrong, Ava! I don't even like Sharon like that! Can't you see that I'm in love with you!?"

The gasp that escaped Ava's mouth almost made her choke. In love? But how? When?

"I've been in love with you from the moment I met you," Bucky's voice began to break. "Remember when Peggy brought you over to Steve's to watch that basketball game? To meet Sam and me? The moment I laid eyes on you I-I knew that I would be in deep trouble. I hadn't even spoken a word to you and I was head over heels for you, Ava."

"Get out," Ava pleaded softly. Whether he was telling the truth or just saying it to make her feel better, it just made her anxious. 

"Ava please," Bucky begged, his eyes beginning to fill with tears.

Ava looked away from him. She knew that if she laid her eyes on him she would break. "If you respect me you'll leave."

Bucky took in a deep breath, not wanting to leave her. He didn't have much of a choice. He loved and respected her and would grant her wishes. So with one last look at the side of her face, he walked out of the room and headed back to the party as if he hadn't just professed his love to Ava.