20 / A Chameleon Changes

Stan laughed at the pair. It was high pitched and just on the edge of manic. It hinted at a child whose decisions might ensure he didn't make It to adulthood.

"He fooled you, ya stupid bitch," Stan said, containing his laugh only barely. "He's got nothing. You've hooked up with a Nomad! A lying, scum little Nomad."

"I'm not a Nomad!" Thomas insisted.

He wasn't, not really. The fact he didn't have powers yet didn't make him one, did it? A Nomad was one who'd lost their mind then found their abilities, wasn't it? You didn't automatically become one after your eighth birthday. It wasn't a magical clock that, once it struck, brought on the change. It happened at various stages over time. Granted it was a short time, as if being eight triggered a hormone that made the mundane magical mystical.

He didn't feel like a Nomad. Two years had yet to alter him, but he hadn't become a lunatic. He hadn't flipped or turned into a danger to everyone around him.

But, if he was honest, he knew the answer. Mental acuity had nothing to do with being a Nomad. It was the simple matter of not having your powers after they were meant to have appeared. That's why he was a target. He should thank his father for hanging on for so long, except he'd let his son face ongoing humiliation. Thomas wasn't sure if it would have been better to have had the time or be taken as soon as it was realised nothing was happening.

Bren gritted her teeth against all the things she was thinking of saying. She'd only just met the boy, but felt they'd known each other for much longer. Yet, now, she didn't know him at all. As much as Thomas was denying it, Stan must have had a basis for his accusation. He was obviously the sort of person to not care about truth, but it was an odd thing to say.

She had to give Thomas a chance. He deserved that much. Firstly, they had to do something about the bully.

"I don't care," she said. Part of her did, but she found that the words rang true. Thomas seemed normal. He was a nice kid. "I think you should fuck off and leave him, both of us, alone."

"Yeah, well I don't care what you think. He's going to pay."

Stan's face tensed and a vein throbbed in his neck. He made quiet grunting noises as the concentration made his whole body ache. He knew he wasn't very good, but he'd show them this time.

The walls of the buildings making up the alley started to groan under an invisible pressure. Dust from the mortar holding the bricks together lifted away and floated slowly towards Thomas and Bren. The girl wafted her hand through the cloud and it collapsed to the floor, its minimal mass unseen against the dirt it joined. Taking his cue from her, Thomas did the same thing, waving his own hand through the airborne dust cloud. It, too, fell apart and again was lost in the muck of the ground.

"Is that all you've got?" Bren asked. "It's pathetic."

"Yeah, well, if Billy was here...."

"But he's not, is he?"

She stepped forward, a simple movement that carried a threat she didn't need to voice. Stan had no idea what power she had. He also knew the chances were that it was stronger than his. He backed away.

"That's it. Get lost."

Thomas stayed silent and watched the two face off against each other. He had expected Bren to turn on him if she found out the truth. That she hadn't, told him that he really could trust her.

"I'm not going anywhere," Stan said.

He reached behind him and pulled out a knife. Its blade wasn't very long, but it would still cause damage. Bren didn't seem to notice it. She took another step forward, bringing her within striking distance.