Chapter 18

Not Edited

Arjun's POV:

"I can never predict you, Angel" I heard myself saying but frowned when my words were repeated by none other than Veni. When I looked at her, her eyes were throwing daggers at me for some unknown reason.

************************

"You know how I would recognize you?" I asked, teasing her like always.

"H-How?" I smirked. Knowing well that she would be freaking out thinking that I may find her. How I wish, I could meet her in person and confess my feelings she stirred in me.

And accuse her for trespassing into my heart and for making it her home.

Damn! I sound like a girl.

"While you try to hide from me, I would exchange some story with the people around me and will start saying the most random things........." I gave a small pause knowing well that she would want me to continue and I patted my back when I heard her say "And?" I can hear her sighing wishfully; I know she wanted to be near me as much as I do. I just wish she would give up her insecurities and appear in front of me, so we could have our happily ever after.

God! I sound so cheesy right now. She is to be accused for this too.

"And I would know when you and I would say the most random thing at the same time" I can't believe I was saying these things to a girl, who I never met in my life.

She started laughing. Her laughter is the most melodious thing I have ever heard. I grinned knowing I accomplished my goal for the day. I know this day would be best for starting it with her laughter. Her voice is the best medicine for my hangover and her laughter was just a cherry on the top.

******************

I found myself staring at Veni while she is looking at me with an unknown emotion and I can clearly see the layer of tears forming in her eyes.

Why?

"Protect her from herself" I remembered her dad's words. He calls me everyday to know about his daughter's well-being.

I thought he was being dramatic when I heard him say those words, but after observing her all these days I can say that she was broken. Behind all the tough exterior, there must be a vulnerable woman who was trying her best to hide.

"She must be feeling insecure about something and acting defensive before someone hurt her" were her words to explain Bharat's girlfriend behavior.

Is she doing the same thing as Bharat's girlfriend?

Acting defensive?

She is messing with her brain yet again!

Why am I even trying to find reasons for her behavior?

As she always says, it doesn't matter what I think about her. We're in this name sake relationship just because my daughter needed a mother figure in her life. I wouldn't blink an eye before signing divorce papers if she wants out of this marriage.

*********************

I never knew my daughter is such an attention seeker until now. She has been showing off her toothless grin to them and making weird noises whenever someone say something to her.

She even mocked Bharat's mother and she has been accusing my daughter for being naughty. I couldn't help but laugh along with them. I stopped laughing when I heard Veni laughing freely for the first time.