Chapter 17

Elsa's POV

  I was able to find the girl pretty quickly. She was hiding away in a corner. She had soft brown hair, most of which was covered with soot. Her scared, brown eyes were questioning as I helped her up. She looked like she was burnt on parts of her arm.

  I conjured up a piece of ice and handed it to her, but she backed away from me.

  "Who- Who are you?" she questioned shakily.

  I tried to smile. "I'm Elsa, Queen Anna's sister."

  "But I thought-"

  "Yeah, well I'm not dead, so let's go," I snapped.

  "Who was that other girl? She had firey powers instead of ice ones," Kaylen said.

  "You saw Scarlet?"

  "Um, I think so?"

  "What was she trying to do? Where did she go?"

  "I think she was trying to kill me, and I have no idea where she went. I thought I was going to die. Thanks for saving me."

  "You're welcome." I offered her the ice again, and this time Kaylen took it and placed it on her arm. "Come on," I told her. "Anna's waiting for us in the hall."

  "Okay."

  I carefully guided her through the room. Just as we reached the door, the corner where Kaylen was sitting collapsed. Kaylen looked like she was about to do the same. I brought her across the hall, where it was a bit safer, then I looked for Anna. I heard her voice. It was frantically speaking. I heard a guy. Kristoff.

  Kaylen and I crawled toward the voices until we found them. Anna was kneeling over Kristoff, ignoring the clouds of smoke hanging over her. "You'll be okay," she kept saying.

  "Anna? Kristoff? Where's Jack?" I asked. Anna jumped  the sound of my voice. I guess she hadn't heard us approach.

  "Oh, thank goodness it's only you. I thought you were Scarlet." She shook her head. "Anyway, Scarlet has moved to the upper floors. The entire castle will collapse on top of us if we don't move."

  "Where's Jack?" I repeated.

  "The roof of that room fell and separated Jack and Kristoff. We really don't know where he is. Kristoff said that it looked like he was crushed underneath..." I stopped listening after that. Jack was in trouble. I had to help. I'll admit, I was developing a pretty serious crush on him.

  "I'll be right back," I said.

  As I stood, Anna asked, "What about Kristoff? He looks like he'll pass out any second!"

  I created some ice and gave it to her, then gave more to Kaylen, whose ice had already melted. "Stay safe. Leave if it gets too dangerous."

  "What about you?"

  "Don't worry about me. I'll get what I deserve," I said, more to assure myself than them.

  I walked in to a room that was lit up with fire. It almost hurt, considering I had grown up in a castle made of ice. I had never really seen fire until recently.

  "Jack?!" I called, coughing as I went. I moved further into the room. Like Kristoff described, there was a hole in the roof and a pile of debris in the center of the room. "Jack!"

  I ran as fast as I could considering the conditions. Ugh, why did these people have such big bedrooms? I hit what I think was the bed, and knew that part of it was crushed under the debris.

  Trying to figure out a way around the giant pile, I realized there wasn't one. There was only one thing to do- I had to climb.