I

PERCY groaned at Hazel's forever-upbeat attitude.

"Oh, come on. It might actually be fun. You could get away from your mom, meet some new friends--maybe a girl. You can finally see the world outside New York. Besides, Percy, I adore the uniforms."

Hazel and Percy were being shipped off to a boarding school in California. It hadn't been Percy's idea.

"Hazel, I don't care about the uniform. I don't care about the outside world. Besides, I can make friends and meet girls here. And I don't want to get away from my mom," he added.

Hazel rolled her eyes, making them catch the light of the setting sun outside Percy's bedroom window. "If you can make friends here, then how come I'm the only one you've had in years?"

"That's not--"

"And a girl?" Hazel laughed. "Percy, you've never had a girlfriend." Hazel pulled his uniform off the doorknob to his room. Percy hadn't even opened it.

"There was Rachel--"

"A real girlfriend. She kissed you, then told you she couldn't date you. Remember?" She inspected the packaging, probably ready to rip it open. "You have to try this on," she decided.

Percy reddened at the mention of Rachel dumping him. Okay, so they hadn't really been dating, but it still stung.

Without warning, Hazel tore open the plastic wrap holding Percy's uniform. He let out a strangled yelp. "What if I needed to return that?! Or to--"

"We're leaving tomorrow. You can't deny it anymore, Percy." Hazel held up a slate gray jacket. It was light and looked casual enough, until she turned it around and Percy grimaced. On the left breast was a trident embroidered in gold. Percy fell back onto his bed and covered his face.

"I'll never wear that," he promised.

He could practically hear Hazel raising her eyebrows at him, not believing a word he said. "I like it. It'll be a nice change for you. Besides, the shirt is plain enough, and the tie is actually--"

Percy sat bolt upright on the edge of his bed. "I have to wear a tie?" He asked, incredulous. Hazel grinned at him, holding up a blue and green tie that almost looked like it could be some artist's abstract ocean painting. Percy hated art.

"I can't wait," Hazel smiled.

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

Hazel left after Percy's mom made them dinner. They talked for a minute at the door, and Percy could hear them laughing--probably at him. He put his plate away in the dishwasher and turned to see his mom walking towards him.

"So," she started, leaning back against the counter next to him. "You're leaving tomorrow."

"I think you should come," Percy blurted immediately. "I'll need help unpacking, you can meet my teachers--you know they usually need some kind of warning--and help me get ready for school. You know I'm not good at that."

Sally Jackson smiled sadly. She was always so kind and positive, and Percy knew she was probably holding back tears. He also thought he might cry if he saw his mom upset.

"Your father only bought one ticket," she said. "And you won't be alone, you'll have Hazel. I'm sure you'll be fine," she stated firmly, and Percy thought there was an undertone, like, I wouldn't be letting you go if I thought otherwise.

After a minute of silence, Percy said, "I hate flying."

"So does your father," Sally said softly.

"I hate him," he said. "I haven't even met him, and he suddenly wants me to move to some boarding school across the country? Mom, why should he even have a say in this?" Percy's dad owned the school he and Hazel would be attending. He had built it, but Percy thought he didn't really care about the kids. He probably just wanted the company name on something else.

"Percy," his mom said, warning. "Your father wants you to have the best opportunities. He founded that school for kids who... for kids who need more help. It's for the best that you go there."

"He founded that school so his company would look good," Percy spat.

"Percy!" his mother's eyes were wide, and she looked horrified at his words.

"Mom. If he can throw away money for me to go to some school after 16 years without even showing up, why hasn't he sent any to you? Why can't he support you?" Percy was almost pleading by this point. He thought if he ever met his father, he might hurt him. Badly.

"He--"

"I'll go," Percy said, surprising both of them. "If it's what you really want, I'll leave."

"Of course I don't want you to leave," Percy's mom said after a few moments. "But I do want you to go to that school."

Percy looked at her for a long time. Finally, she pulled him into a hug. "I love you," she whispered. Percy's eyes were wet. He wouldn't see his mom until Thanksgiving.

"I love you, too." It was true. He would do anything for his mom. Even go to this school. He wouldn't like it--not one bit--but he would go to this school, because it was what his mom wanted.

Maybe he'd even meet his father while he was there.