V

Sorry for the long update, this was a difficult chapter. Actually, sorry about this whole chapter, I have no idea how to write Jason, so here's a super quick, super weird POV for him.

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

JASON woke up ten minutes before he had to get to English. He groaned. Usually, he was out of bed and ready for the day an hour earlier. Now, he'd have to forego a shower until tonight after school and rush to get ready in time.

Jason sat up and threw off the sheets, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. He sat there for a minute, and smiled.

Piper. He'd thought about her until he fell asleep last night. Jason almost couldn't believe that he'd actually told her. He'd had a crush on her for a year. When she'd finally started talking to him about six months ago, he'd thought he was going to have a heart attack.

Now, he knew she felt the same way. It was insane. She'd kissed him–not the other way around. Jason still had butterflies.

The smile still plastered on his face, Jason straightened and got ready for the day. Percy was gone, and Jason was actually relieved—he'd talked Jason's head off after they got back from tryouts, and Jason listened–or, pretended to–until he fell asleep. Now, he couldn't even remember what Percy had said.

He ended up making it to class five minutes before he should even have left the dorm. When he walked in the room, he saw Percy sitting at a desk, the teacher, Mr. Blofis, standing over him. "I know you understand the material, Percy," Mr. Blofis was saying.

"I don't. I can't even read it. I just don't get it," Percy replied.

"Concentrate, Percy. Just relax. I–"

"Jason!" Percy stood up when he saw him, clearly embarrassed. "Uh, hey."

"Mr. Grace," the teacher said, standing up straight. "You're early. Earlier than usual," he added.

"Yeah, uh, I was in a hurry. So..."

"Mr. Jackson was just getting in some extra tutoring," Mr. Blofis told him.

Percy gasped, a look of betrayal plain on his face when he looked at Mr. Blofis. "I..." he looked at Jason, and his shoulders slumped. "Yeah."

"It's not a big deal, man," Jason said quickly. Really, it wasn't. Jason had already known that Percy wasn't at a level he should have been for his age–it was why he and Jason had the same English class, even though Percy was a year ahead of him. He also knew it wasn't really his fault. Percy had a lot of trouble reading. He tried to play it off, but Jason knew that Percy resented himself for not being in the class he should have been.

A flash of irritation crossed Percy's face. "It is," he said. "I should be able to do it. I can't–"

"Percy," Mr. Blofis interrupted.

Percy sighed. "I'm sorry," he said. "You're right. It shouldn't be a big deal."

"Percy, seriously, it's fine. This doesn't change anything," Jason said.

Percy just nodded as a bell rang and they heard voices in the hallway. Other students were on their way to class. Jason sat down at his desk next to Percy's.

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

The rest of the day was pretty normal. Piper and Hazel talked a lot during biology, but Piper leaned over and grasped his hand at one point. Her hand was soft, and strong. She held his loosely, but in a way so that Jason wouldn't be able to let go. Not that he would have.