II

PERCY got out of the cab and walked into the airport with his mom. Hazel and her mother got out a couple of cars behind them, and Percy saw Hazel hug her mother and quickly dismiss her. He knew they had a pretty bad relationship--it's why Hazel had always liked his mom. Still, Percy thought she should have someone to see her off. This was a life changing trip.

At least, that's what the brochure said. Percy pulled the thick pamphlet out of his bag, rolling his eyes. Triton Academy. His new home.

It made Percy want to gag.

When the three of them got to security, Percy's mom pulled Hazel in for a hug. She told her something, probably "take care of Percy"--as if he were that bad--and turned to him.

He could see that her eyes were already wet. This morning, he'd noticed they were red, like she hadn't gotten much sleep. He knew she'd probably stayed up most of the night worried about him.

"Percy..." she hugged him even more tightly than she had last night. "You've grown up so much," she said, and Percy heard her voice break.

"Mom," he pulled back, feeling the tears well up in his eyes. "It's only one school year. And I'll visit all the time," he added, trying to reassure the both of them.

"I know..." she closed her eyes, and Percy saw a single tear spill down her cheek. "I just want you to do well."

Percy smiled, even though he was about to cry as well. "When have I ever?" he joked.

His mom smiled, her eyes glistening with all the tears she'd been holding back, and rifled through her purse. "I have something..." she pulled out a tiny bottle.

Percy raised an eyebrow, and couldn't help but grinning. "Blue food dye?" he asked.

"So you'll always feel like you're at home," she answered. "And Hazel..." she turned, handing Hazel something that glinted in the white light of the airport. "Your mom wanted you to have this. She said you wouldn't take it if she tried to give it to you," she added hurriedly, before Hazel could protest.

Hazel frowned, and Percy could tell she was confused. "I don't want anything of hers," she stated firmly, looking up at Percy's mom. "This is a new start for me."

Percy could see that she was probably about to cry, too. God, they were emotional.

"It's not hers," Sally said softly, opening her hand to reveal a small, blood-red gemstone. "She said it belonged to your father."

Hazel let out a tiny gasp, throwing her hand over her mouth. She visibly hesitated before taking the ruby. "Are... Are you sure?"

Percy's mom smiled, pressing the stone into Hazel's hand. "It's yours." she hugged Hazel again, then turned to give Percy a kiss on the cheek. "I guess it would be pointless to tell you to make good choices?"

"Mom--"

"Just try, Percy. Please."

Percy looked at his mom for a long time. He had never been away from her for longer than a month (he couldn't even last long at summer camp), and now he would be away from her for four, at least. And then another. And then five more.

"I will. I love you," Percy smiled, hugging his mom once more--tightly, this time, like he was trying to convince himself she was really there. Maybe because he knew that tomorrow, she wouldn't be.

"I love you. Both of you," she added, cupping Hazel's cheek. "Be safe."

With that, Sally Jackson watched her only son--and the closest thing she had to a daughter--leave.