Mission

Wei Wuxian, Lan Wangji and Jiang Cheng were all given a mission. A rogue cultivator was using dark spells to raise and control ghosts. They had to stop him. Lan qiren had given them this mission.

Wei Wuxian, Lan Wangji and Jiang Cheng were called to Lan Qiren's room after class one day.
Jiang Cheng was looking suspiciously at Wei Wuxian. Wei looked at him and asked with a frown, "What are you looking at me like that for,huh?"
"Just tell what trouble have you stirred up now?" Jiang Cheng asked with a resigned expression on his face.

Wei wuxian made an offended face and said, "Wh-what NO, I didn't do anything. Why do you always try to blame me for everything?"

"That's because you ARE responsible for all the troubles," said Jiang Cheng getting irritated with Wei Wuxian's denial of any prank or trouble.

Lan Wangji was walking a little ahead of them with his usual indifferent face but he seemed to have his head a slightest bit turned towards Jiang Cheng, as if agreeing with him on Wei wuxian causing trouble.

Wei wuxian saw him and asked , "Lan Zhan do you also think I make trouble all the time?" "Mmn" was his only reply and Wei wuxian touched his fist to his heart and said in a dramatic way , "Nooo! Oh, how have you both conspired against me. Putting such a blame on this innocent, sweet and oh so precious Wei Ying, how can you both commit such horrendous crime?"

He made a pout and wiped imaginary tears from his face. Jiang Cheng beat him behind his head and said trying to control his smile, "There is literally nothing innocent or sweet about you. But you are precious in a way, because only you can be like this because everyone else tries to be the opposite of you."

Lan Wangji didn't say anything but his eyes were a little brighter like they were smiling seeing these two brothers' antics.

The three of them reached Lan Qiren's room and saw both him and Lan Xichen waiting. They bowed to them and stood in front of them.

Lan Qiren was sitting in front of his desk and was looking through some papers and Lan Xichen was standing to the side.

On their arrival Lan Qiren put down the papers and looked up with a frown on his face. He said, "There has been some disturbing reports from the North, people say a cultivator goes to graves, uses some spells and rituals to wake the ghosts and then control them. He's been using the controlled ghosts to kill and then rob the victims if they had any valuables on them. I've sent two of our disciples to follow and track him but not to engage with him without back up. So I'm sending you people to capture him, you did a good job with the water demon, so I'm trusting you will finish this mission too successfully. Don't do anything stupid and make me regret my trust", he said the last line with a glare towards Wei Wuxian.

He didn't like his attitude but he knew he was talented and cannot fault his work, that's why he chose him also for this mission.

Lan Xichen bowed to him and said, "Don't worry Uncle, we'll find him and bring him to justice."

Lan Qiren nodded his head. All four of them bowed again and left the room.

After they came out, Wei Wuxian said with a smug smile, "See you both were saying I made some trouble, but then Master Lan had called for not scolding but for asking my help."

Lan Xichen raised his brow with a little smile, Wangji almost rolled his eyes and Jiang Cheng facepalmed.

He was beyond exasperated with Wei Wuxian's attitude and said with a sneer, "If Master Lan heard you right now, you will be skinned alive and hung upside down. Maybe I should tell him you are bragging that he's asking your help---"

"No no no, you misunderstood me, I said I'm honored to do his work. That's my duty." Wei wuxian said shaking his head rapidly and looking behind to see the door.

Lan Xichen said, "Please meet at the gate after packing your things in half an hour."

All three left and Lan Xichen mildly shook his head and went away with a smile on his face