Chapter 5

I thank December Silentvale for helping.

In the world of the living, another wedding cake was being carried. This one being smaller and easily carried by the maid Hildegarde to the table that had been set up in the foyer. It was there the wedding feast, what little there was, had been set up for the Einhorn family and their few friends from town. At the head of the table, Berta on the right and Trevor on the left as they sat together. Ingrid sat on her son's left with her husband beside her and the rest of the Einhorn family and friends sat around the table.

Each sat with a small chicken in front of them without speaking a word to one another. It was hardly what one would call festive. One man was even snoring at the end of the table. Others tapped their fingers to the table in impatience.

"Quiet down now, everyone." Berta called out, tapping her fork to her glass to gain everyone's attention.

The man at the end of the table snorting as he woke up. The others looked at her in boredom.

"Mm-hm. Thank you. Elegant, cultured, radiant. Trevor has found a wife with all these qualities and more. Serendipity brought us together and no force on earth could tear us apart." Berta recited her speech before the room grew dark and the flame in the fireplace rose up in an unnatural green color. "Oh!"

"Mm?" One of the gentlemen asked as they looked around at the peculiar lighting.

The woman at the table gasping in fright. The men's eyes glancing out of the corner of their eyes as they looked for the cause. Some of the guests watched in silent horror as skeletons appeared behind Ingrid and Wolfgang as the couple sat unaware of the undead in their home. It wasn't until Bonejangle's single eye fell from his socket onto Wolfgang's head and into his soup that he noticed something was wrong.

Using his spoon, Wolfgang brought the eye up closer for closer inspection. "There's an eye in me soup."

Unable to handle it anymore, the woman across from screamed, the table flipping onto its side as the guests ran for it. Each one running and creating chaos.

"Ooooh!" One of the men screamed.

The skeletons and corpses watching calmly and blankly as the living ran with no clear direction.

"Oh! Oh!" Berta screeched as she backed away.

"Aaah!" A dead man moaned.

The woman in front of him backing away before accidentally bumping into Bonesapart and shrieking.

"Oh, sorry." Bonesapart apologized.

At first hiding behind Trevor, Berta pushed him away as she crawled underneath the table to hide.

With a gasp, Ingrid had jumped up on a chair and held her skirt as Liam barked at her.

"Fetch me musket!" Wolfgang ordered his butler.

"Fetch your own musket. l'm off!" Emil shouted at his former boss, leaving the surely accursed place.

"Coming through. Coming through." Paul called out as the bugs carried him across the floor and accidentally under a woman's dress.

Underneath the table, Berta had covered her eyes before opening them and gasped as she backed away from the giggling skeleton children beside her.

On one gentleman's shoulder, Maggot had avoided getting trampled and spoke to him. "Excuse me, you don't know me, but l used to live in your dead mother."

The man screaming as he jerked the creature off his shoulder.

As another woman ran away, she metaphorically caught the eye of Bonejangles. "Hey, hold on there. l love a woman with meat on her bones. Heh, heh, heh." The skeleton chuckled.