Chapter 2

Tails could not stop himself from recalling that fateful morning - where his brother disappeared from their very planet itself. In the early days following Sonic's disappearance, nobody had been alarmed or surprised in the least.

Sonic always went off on adventures by himself regularly, that's just how he is. The desire to leave and travel becomes too much for a vibrant person like him, and he can't handle staying in one place for too long. For some adventures he'd be gone for a few days at the most, others would take almost a whole month and not a day past. Then at the end of Sonic's escapades, he returned with adrenaline and cheerful from his adventures.

It took an entire month to pass for Tails to actually grow worried. Sonic is the world's hero and beloved by all, wherever he went there would be news and rumors about his whereabouts.

Nothing.

There wasn't a hint to reveal wherever he's gone.

Tails ignored his concerns. Shoved them deep down and immersed himself into his projects in his lab - desperately hoping that Sonic would be back soon. His hopes were in vain though when the second month began rolling in with no signs of Sonic returning safely.

Except it never happened.

No matter how much he tried, he couldn't believe it - his brother was missing and he didn't do a thing about it until it was too late.

Tails can recall that fateful morning, that day he let his brother slip through his fingers, not knowing that it would be the last morning he would see him. If he would ever see him again.

That day had been an ordinary one, so painfully normal that it is impossible to imagine how everything could change. That fate could be cruel.

Sonic woke up at dawn, him being an early bird and all, and had made a nice breakfast for himself, Tails, and their best friend, Knuckles the echidna. Knuckles liked to drop by at breakfast for awhile in the morning before returning back to Angel Island to guard the Master Emerald.

Tails had to be dragged out of his lab sometimes, though the hearty and sweet aroma of food coaxed him out. Every day Tails would either see Sonic standing at the stove with a pink little apron on him - courtesy of one Amy Rose - and a spatula in his hands stirring up eggs or bacon. He could picture every little detail he never paid attention to except in memories.

Like the lazy lopsided smile Sonic would give him when Tails would yawn sleepily and set the table, the quiet humming Sonic would do that could be heard over the sound of sizzling bacon, or how he would ruffle Tails' bangs after he finished cooking and placed a delicious breakfast on the table. Tails used to grumble whenever Sonic would do that, and Sonic would beam mischievously.

With Knuckles, Sonic would huff and tease that the echidna only liked him for his cooking. The two long time friends would banter and bicker as they sat and ate together.

The only somewhat new thing had been the restless actions and behavior Sonic had that morning. The way his eyes stared off outside, wanting to travel and see new sights. How he couldn't sit still, letting his fingers tap against the table and constantly bouncing his leg. Those were just little signs Sonic had whenever he was about to go out and start a new adventure after staying in one place too long.

Tails thought it had to have been that. Sonic did disappear on serious occasions without saying goodbye or leaving a note about his whereabouts, if anything everything that day had been normal.

When the truth hit the fox, the feelings of guilt and shame settled into him and he felt as if he's been dragged underwater with those feelings as the weights. How could he be that horrible of a brother? To push his worries away, and essentially push the last chance of finding Sonic away at the same time.