Prologue

*Five Years Before The Phantom Menace*

*Obi-Wan's POV*

Dim lights. Low, murmuring voices. Cool air. The smell of healing salves. The feelings of the hard-medical bed beneath him. The sense of distress.

Obi-Wan could tell he was drifting in and out of consciousness, but he could not seem to pull himself fully into the present. He opened his eyes and tried to lift his head but all he succeeded in doing was turning his head slightly to the right. The end of his padawan braid slipped off his shoulder onto the healing bed. His brief movement caused the two people in the room to glance over and pause their conversation. They exchanged a worried look, and the older women turned around and walked into the next room and shut the door. Obi-Wan tried again to lift his head to see what was happening, but he felt like it was glued to the table.

"Don't try to move. Healer Che has administered several calming ointments that have drastically relaxed your body. It may be hard to move." Qui-Gon said softly has he crossed the room to where Obi-Wan was lying. He sat next to the bed with a sigh. "We were captured by the pirates and separated in out mission to Byss. We were rescued by a team of Jedi the Counsel sent after us. However, the pirates still managed to torture you and it caused an extreme blockage in your mental capacities. The healers don't quite know how to heal the injury."

Obi-Wan tried to comprehend what his master was saying, but he felt like his brain had been turned to fog. The door opened and the light from the hall lit the room for a split second before the door was shut again. A new and much younger woman made her way to the bed carrying a box. As she set the box down she made eye contact with Qui-Gon and an unspoken conversation took place. She looked at Obi-Wan, and he instantly felt like there was something about her that was familiar. He started racking his brain for any recollection of this lady, but nothing came up. But he could not shake the feeling.

She smiled sadly at his confused look. "It's ok if you can't remember. That's what I'm here to fix."

Qui-Gon stood up as she opened her box and started laying out the contents. "Be careful," he told her. "There's a reason why this has never been done before." She looked up at him and acknowledged what he said by bowing her head respectfully. As she turned away to finish setting up, Qui-Gon looked down at Obi-Wan with an expression of concern. Obi-Wan turned his eyes up to meet his master's. He could feel Qui-Gon's worry and guilt through their bond, but he could not make sense of it.

Qui-Gon smiled gently. "Don't worry. Ayryia will take good care of you." The woman, apparently called Ayryia, turned back to face the bed and smiled at Obi-Wan.

"Close your eyes and relax." She said. "Don't try to fight what is about to happen." Obi-Wan closed his eyes and he felt her lay several long strips of material horizontally on his feet, knees, groin, chest, and face, leaving just enough room for him to breathe. He felt Ayryia place her hand on his forehead and sensed a kind of stir in the back of his mind, and then everything went black.