Chapter 1: The Hiding Place

'Eight... seven.... six...'

Sidu's counting fades into nothingness as Ayryia sprints through the winding paths of the Room of a Thousand Fountains, determined to be the last one found. Hide-and-seek is one of her favorite games ever. She loves the thrill and anticipation of the chase, and the suspension and exhilaration of the hider. Usually as she walked through the Room of a Thousand Fountains she would take her time wondering the many paths, appreciating the nature surrounding her. But not today. Today she is racing through the exotic foliage, enjoying the steady beat of her feet on the ground, feeling the air breeze past her face, her fierce competitive streak coming out. There was no way in the universe she was going to lose this game: she had the perfect hiding spot.

Ayryia turned the corner and paused, looking in all directions to make sure none of the other younglings had followed her. After confirming the coast is clear, she ducks into the tall, thick bushes that marked the side of the pathway. Ayryia knew she isn't supposed to mess the foliage up, but she shrugged.

"Sometimes the rules are meant to be broken", she rationalized in her mind as she crawled under another bush. She climbed to her feet and walked 30 meters through dense trees and flowers, until she came to a small clearing on the edge of a precipice. Her shallow, rapid breathes were drowned out in the sound of a waterfall cascading to the right the clearing, falling in a pond 15 meters below. Standing at the edge of the cleaning, Ayryia could look out and see the whole room filled with enormous trees, lush plants, stones of all colors, deep ponds, beautiful waterfalls, flowing rivers, and fascinating fountains. This was the most perfect spot in the Jedi Temple to see everything and still remain unseen.

Ayryia sat cross-legged on a stone, taking in the view and relishing her anticipated victory. There was no way, not even in a million light years, that anyone could find her. Not even if they all worked together as a group. She closed her eyes and breathed in the smell of sweet triumph.

A branch snapped with a crack behind Ayryia and she whirled around, her eyes wide. Completely caught off guard, she looks to see Obi-Wan standing just outside the clearing, looking like he wished he could be anywhere but here. By his body language she concluded he obviously was not expecting to be caught. Stunned, Ayryia did not say anything for a moment. But then she recovered her wits.

"Did you follow me??" Ayryia exclaimed more forcefully than she meant to.

Obi-Wan cringed, wishing he could disappear. "Yes"

"Why?"

"I don't know."

Ayryia stood up and crossed her arms, doing her best to look intimidating. Obi-Wan mirrored the movement, all uncertainty wiped from his face.

"Just because you are two years older than me doesn't mean I consider you threatening." He stated in an effort to prove himself.

"Oh please. Just because you are eight and I'm ten means nothing. I found this spot so it's mine. Go find your own hiding spot."

Obi-Wan looked around, taking in their surroundings. "I doubt I'll find a place better than this one."

His comment made Ayryia pause for a second. "It doesn't matter. You still need to find your own place to hide. Sidu has definitely finished counting by now. He'll be looking for us."

Obi-Wan walked over to stand beside her. "What if I promise to never tell anyone about this spot? Can I stay?"

Ayryia looked at him, trying to gauge how sincere his words are. "Why would you do that?"