Chapter 2 - Issues

Yo
_____

Connor POV

I click through the lists of files on my computer, my fingers clicking repeatedly on the keyboard mouse. The androids desk was set in front of mine, giving the man advantage to bug me. Again, I have nothing against androids but I hate work partners.

I didn't dare to glimpse at the android, staying directly focused on my computer, trying to seem like I'm working hard. Hank, my new android partner, was sitting across of me with his hands on his computer keyboard. We both don't speak a word.

There was an awkward silence but it didn't itch under my skin. All I wanted was to leave as soon as my shift ends and smoke a cigarette outside the department. After awhile, Hank slowly glimpses a peak at me, trying to see what I'm up to. I don't dare to return the eye contact and kept myself focused on my computer. I knew he was looking but I tried my best to ignore the stare.

"You have a cat."

I look up at Hank, a confused expression on my face. "Well, that was random. How so?" I questioned. Now all my attention was on Hank and no longer at the case files on my computer.

Hank softly smiles, "Well, I scanned you and saw that you got cat hair on your uniform. It's quite long hair."

I roll my eyes and move back to the files on my computer. Hank keeps looking at me, trying to figure out a way how to hold a conversation since we have to work together sooner or later. I knew the android wanted to ease the tension between us and try to build some form of work partner connection but at this moment, I'm not interested.

Hank tries again to start up a conversation, "Do you smoke?"

I look at Hank again, "Yeah, so?"

"It's bad for you. Your lungs already show sig—"

"Stop scanning me weirdo," I interrupted.

"Connor, studies show that smoking can even affect people aroun—-"

"Weirdo."

Hank quickly shuts up, disappointment on his face. He was trying to inform about my addiction but I've already heard plenty from the androids mouth. Even tho he barely said anything, one sentence was enough for myself to handle. I glared at him, eyes narrowed down at his icy blue eyes.

"Connor, stop being so stubborn. We are work partners now, we need to get to know each other and find ways how to communicate so we can solve these cases. If you can at least talk to m—"

"We are not partners! We. Are. Not.! I don't want to build anything with you. So please, stay out of my way at the crime scenes and be a nice robot. Just stand there and look pretty," I growled loudly, my voice slowly raising. The tone catches a few looks from the nearby officers but they don't question the situation.

"Connor, you are being irrational right now."

"So? When am I not? My whole life is irrational! It never goes by plan and falls apart within minutes."

"Stop and just listen to m—"

"Why should I listen to an android?" I snapped, just wanting the conversation to end and have the android leave.

Hank tenses but doesn't say another word. He just glares and returns to his computer, offended from my words. I knew deep down inside that saying those words hurt him but I needed him to shut up.

'Now I really need a cigarette.'

"Hey Connor, how's your new friend?" smirked Gavin, approaching my desk with a coffee mug in his right hand. It was hot, steam radiating off the liquid.

I roll my eyes, "What do you want?"

"Nothing, just curious how you're doing with your new friend. That last time you had a partner was your twin bro-"

"Don't mention about it. I don't want to think about it right now."

"Alright smoker," Gavin chuckles, waving Hank goodbye before leaving Connor's desk. Hank does a simple wave back, observing Gavin as he leaves. Hank doesn't say another word still as I return back to my work with a sigh.

'Why do I have such shitty co workers?'

I look up at Hank, whom was still avoiding my eye contact, fixated on his computer. 'I hope my shift ends soon.'