Blushes

You light leap home with Sophie, Sandor, and Keefe, annoyed that the troublesome boy had insisted on coming to Havenfield with you, and that Sophie actually let him. 

Unfortunately, Grady is washing Verdi out in the fields, and he's the obstacle you'd been hoping to pass by. 

"What's he doing here?" Grady grumbles, pausing his dinasour bath. 

"Nice to see you too, Mr. Ruewen," Keefe says with an annoying amount of politeness. "Foster and Gigantor and Princess begged me to come, and I told them I didn't want to disturb them, but they so greatly insisted that I couldn't say no." 

Sandor snorts. 

"Princess?" Grady asks, looking at you. 

"That is not what happened," you say, rolling your eyes. "He was the one begging us. And for some reason, Sophie actually let him come over." You glare at her. 

She shrugs. "I thought we could study together." 

You groan. 

"Fine," Grady decides, obviously regretting the decision as soon as he made it. "Don't make a mess." 

"Yes sir." Keefe says, giving Grady a little bow, and earning eye rolls from all four of you. 

---

"Well hello there, Keefe!" Edaline says excitedly as you enter the house with Sophie, Sandor, and The Boy Not To Be Mentioned. 

"Hello Mrs. Ruewen," Keefe smiles, knowing that Edaline welcomes him with great enthusiasm every time. 

"So you're not even gonna greet your own daughter first, huh?" Sophie says jokingly. "I see how it is." 

"Well I am her son-in-law to be," he says, turning to Sophie and winking. Something inside you feels like it's been stabbed. You don't know what it is, but you don't like it. 

"Keefe!" Sophie blushes. 

"Now now, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves." Edaline tries to smother a laugh. "Maybe someday, but-" 

"Mom!" Sophie's face gets an even darker shade of red. You smile a little at the joking, but the echo of the pain is still there, holding you back. 

"Alright," Sandor says firmly, or, as firmly as he can with his squeaky voice. "I thought you were all going to study for midterms."

"Oh, I forgot." Keefe shakes his head at himself. "Well, come along ladies. We have some work to do." 

You head upstairs with everyone but stop on the second floor to head to Jolie's old room, where you've been staying around in. 

"I thought you were studying with us." Sophie says as you walk down the hallway. 

"Well I didn't invite him over," you say, pointing to Keefe. "So I'm not gonna deal with him." 

"That's some attitude you got there Princess," Keefe jokes as you shut the door behind you. You listen to the footsteps as the remaining three head upstairs. Then you get down to thinking. Thinking about what happened down in the main entrance. 

What was that feeling?  you ask yourself as you focus on the lingering remains of it. You know that you've felt it before... 

After a couple minutes of zoning out while sitting on the bed, you jump as the door creaks open. 

"Sorry, Princess," Keefe says, poking his head in. "Didn't mean to scare you." 

"What are you doing in here?" you grumble as he walks in, shuts the door, and sits down on the bed beside you. 

"So," he starts. "As I'm sure you know, Empaths, such as myself, can feel human emotions without physical contact." 

You raise your eyebrows. "Your point?" 

"I felt that downstairs, when I flirted with Foster." He leans in closer. "Jealousy." 

You push him away, at the same time realizing that he's right. "You sure it wasn't just wishful thinking?" you say, knowing that it sounds kind of flirty. 

"Perhaps," he says with a smirk. You observe the way he's slowly inching closer, thinking that you don't notice. 

"Aren't you supposed to be studying?" you ask. 

"Pfft," he rolls his eyes. "You know how boring Foster can be." 

"Mm hm." You attempt to scooch over, trying to focus on anything other than how close he is. 

"Gosh, your eyes are so pretty," he says quietly, now that he's close enough to whisper. 

You turn away, practically on the edge of the bed in your effort to put some space between the two of you. You feel your face start to heat up as your defenses slowly crumble. "Mind giving me some room?" you say through gritted teeth, not daring to look at him. 

His hand reaches out slowly, and rests on the side of your face, turning your head back towards him. But his eyes are too intense, so you stare at his nose. 

Somehow he figures it out. "Don't worry, I know how nervous I can make people." 

You try very hard not to think about the way his hand has cupped itself around your cheek. His other arm reaches for your waist, but you grab it and the wrist of his other hand and push him rather forcefully away from you. "I said, 'mind giving me some room?'" you ask him again, face still red. He draws back, smirking, still not giving you any more space. 

"Wow," he laughs slightly. "You're a bit fiesty." 

"Hmph." You roll your eyes and cross your arms. 

Unexpectedly, Keefe leans down next to your ear and tucks your hair behind it. "You can resist all you want," he whispers. "But one day, you'll fall for me." At that moment, you hear footsteps directly outside the room. Keefe pulls away quickly, right as the door opens. 

"You said you were going to the bathroom," Sophie says while leaning in the door frame. You hope your face isn't too red. 

"I decided to stop by, just to see what the Princess was up to." 

"Where is Ro again?" Sophie says exasperatedly. 

"Some royal ogre thing going on." Keefe responds, waving his hand in dismissal. 

"Can't wait till she gets back," Sophie mumbles. 

"Can you get him out?" you ask. "He's taking up the whole bed." You gesture to how little space you have to sit. 

"Come on," Sophie walks over and grabs his arm, dragging him towards the door. "We've got work to do." 

"Fosterrrrrr," he whines. 

"You sure you don't want to study with us?" Sophie turns to you as she struggles to move Keefe into the hallway. 

"Positive," you say, smiling at the scene as Keefe halfheartedly protests to Sophie and the door shuts behind them. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not gonna lie, this chapter sucked. 

Sorry I left y'all. 

My social studies project went fine, I got an A! 

I'll try to put more effort into the next chapter. 

Couldn't bring myself to do an interruption right in the middle of it. 

Sorry for any mistakes! 

I love you guys!