xiv. Charlotte, I Love You

"Gustave, how is the roast coming along?" Erik asked nervously, dabbing his forehead with a handkerchief.

"How should I know?" Gustave frowned. "You're the one cooking it."

"Because I asked you to check on it, Gustave!" Erik replied, trying to bite back his frustration.

Gustave jumped a bit at hearing his father's tone. "Don't get your tea towel in a twist. I'll check. God."

"Gustave, you know how uptight I am and you are well aware that I want this to go well tonight. Please, for once, just cooperate," Erik begged, smirking as he knew the comment would bother the boy.

"I cooperate! What do you mean?" Gustave frowned.

"I'm just teasing, but you know what I mean. Go on," Erik said, ushering him across the room to the stove. "Go, check on it, please."

"Fine, fine. And keep in mind that I can still tell Charlotte what you have planned for tonight," Gustave smirked, checking the roast.

"Gustave..." Erik warned as he straightened the plates and glasses on the table.

"Well, what can I say? Be nicer," Gustave shrugged.

"I'm just tense. I'm not trying to be rude. You know that."

"And I'm teasing you. Let me have my fun," Gustave chuckled. "The roast is looking good."

"Good. Good," Erik said, wringing his hands together as he looked around the room. "Everything's set up. Dinner is coming along, the table is set, and I have-" he paused as he put his hand in his pocket and didn't feel the ring box. His heart skipped a beat as he quickly checked his other pocket, sighing with relief when his hand wrapped around the little box. "Thank God," he breathed.

Gustave laughed. "Don't be so nervous, Papa."

"I know I shouldn't be. I just can't help but think about the small chance that she'll say no."

"She won't," Gustave smiled. "She loves you, Papa."

At that moment, they heard the front door open and shut. "Hello? Is anyone home?"

"In the kitchen!" Gustave called, giving Erik another grin. "All the best. Let me know when dinner is ready."

Erik nodded and turned to look at Charlotte as she walked into the room. "Hello," he said with a small smile.

"Hello," Charlotte grinned, wrapping her arms around his neck. "How was your day, my love?"

"Good. Work was tiring as usual, but I got quite a bit done. And you?"

"I sold six paintings," Charlotte smiled. "So it was very good."

"I have a blossoming businesswoman in my midst. Congratulations," Erik said, giving her a quick kiss before he walked over to the oven and pulled out the roast. "I actually made dinner today. I'm hoping it was a success. At least somewhat."

"Well, it smells fantastic," Charlotte nodded. "And it looks good too."

"I'm glad. I did cook for myself, but always simple things. Never stuff like this. Plus, you know how my cooking endeavors usually go," Erik said with a chuckle.

"It appears that it's a job well done, but let's wait to make our decision until after we've tried it," 

Charlotte giggled.

"Yes, definitely. Everything is almost ready. Gustave was helping with the vegetables but has since abandoned his post, as you can see."

"I don't blame him. Poor poor child."