Chapter 1

A shooting star touched down on the hard, red slabs of East Gerudo Mesa the night of the Blood Moon. It left no crater or core behind; instead, a figure stumbled away from where the light touched the earth. The spirit in flesh leaned against a nearby cliff, surveying the land. The harsh crimson light of the Blood Moon faded, and the gentle twinkle of the stars re-assumed their dominance of the night sky. The night was cool and the breeze soft against their naked skin, and Cold Darners zipped through the air in front of them. From far-off came the howl of Wasteland Coyotes, prompting the figure to move. They did not traverse the mesa smoothly but tripped often in their slow journey down the crags and across the cold sand to Kara Kara Bazaar.

The open-air market was quiet this late at night, especially so soon after a Blood Moon, but the people that were out stopped and stared. The figure was not wearing clothes, but they seemed so dazed that they did not notice the attention they were receiving.

"Oh my," a voice said beside them. The figure did not turn, and someone threw a blanket over their shoulders. "It's too cold outside for that, honey." Vilia knelt down, trying to get a read on that glassy expression. "Did you hit your head on something?"

Cracked lips parted. "There's so much," their voice rasped. "So much to see. So much to feel. I haven't... it's been so long since I had a body."

"Well, you've certainly got one now, honey," Vilia said, pushing them gently along toward the inn and out of the open night, "but it's best not to show it off like that, you know? I can set you up with some clothes. You've got a strong tan on you; you'll look so natural in the Gerudo style. But maybe you should get some sleep first. You look like you need it."

They stepped into the inn. The smell of rich spices and frying vegetables teased everyone nearby with the promise of dinner. A sign by the door proclaimed that meals were 15 rupees a plate, except for patrons, who could enjoy authentic Gerudo cuisine for the low price of 10 rupees. Vilia shut the door firmly behind them, blocking off the stares of the people outside. The innkeeper's eyes were wide as she took in the figure, but she was a professional, and she kept her expression clean and friendly.

"Sleep," the stranger repeated. "Rest." They started to cry, silent tears trickling down their cheeks. "I would like that. Very much." They shuddered. "I can't hear them anymore," they said, pulling the blanket more tightly around their body, "the voices. They're finally gone."

They smiled even as they cried, and Vilia was left both confused and alarmed. The little dear sounded like they needed a hug, but the way they were shaking, Vilia didn't want to risk spooking the poor thing. So instead, Vilia turned and stepped up to the inn counter. "I don't know what you've been through, honey, but I'm guessing you don't have any rupees. Room and dinner are on me." She slid a handful of sparkling gemstones across the counter. "Put it under, uh- what's your name?"

The figure looked up. Red eyes gleamed from underneath golden-blond hair. "Sheik," they whispered. "Call me Sheik."

----------------------------

Hey guys! I hope you enjoy this first chapter. Any review you can leave would be greatly appreciated- I always love hearing people's thoughts on my work. I'll be posting more to come, so keep an eye out. I originally wrote an extra 2 pages that set-up what was going on, but I ultimately decided they were unnecessary and dull. Kinda like the writing equivalent of clearing your throat before you get started- it's best just to cut it out and get straight to the action. I'll work the vital information in more organically later. Enjoy your weekend, and thanks for reading!