Chapter 4

Yes, Luke obviously needed his pad to communicate, but times like this, no words were needed, and in that moment, there was no better feeling.
*****
Ashton gently traced the hills and dips in the comforter, before wrapping his arms around Luke's waist. They lay like that for a moment, before sleep washed over both of them.
*****
In the next few weeks that passed, they became closer, gentle touches and cuddles soon becoming a habit. Any tension that ever existed between them diminished, and soon, they became reliant on the others comfort.

Ashton no longer cried alone, often times crying into Luke's chest in the dead of the night, when no one else heard.

Luke no longer bottled his own emotions, in a few simple sentences he'd explained his troubles to Ashton. And Ashton? He'd understood. He was there for Luke.

Small kisses on his cheek made Luke wonder what Ashton thought of him.

When Ashton had asked if Luke thought he was gay, Luke had confirmed it. Yet Ashton didn't seem to realize he was what made Luke question himself.

In all his giggling glory, with his pretty dimples and soft golden curls, with his smile that lit up everything around him. He was beautiful. His hazel eyes, that Luke distinctly remembered from all those years back.

The way Ashton sent fire coursing through Luke's veins, every time he touched him. The way his fingers felt, softly brushing the tears off of Luke's cheeks.

Luke thinks he may have fallen in love.

Whenever Luke was hurt, because no one understood him, he found immense comfort holding Ashton.

Ashton fit perfectly with Luke, and every time they woke up early in the morning for the other to go back home, they were a tangle of limbs.

It became much more than a friendship, and it was the start of something beautiful...they just hadn't realized it yet.
*****
Ashton brushed his fingers over Luke's thigh as he climbed over the bench and towards the school. Luke couldn't stop the soft blush that coated his cheeks. Michael and Calum sent pointed looks in his direction, so he wrote a quick explanation, smile never leaving his lips.

He's so cute

"who is? What'd I miss?"

Ashton voice fills Luke's ears and his eyes widen, before quickly scribbling out the message. He shook his head quickly to contradict what Ashton had read, Michael and Calum holding back their laughter.
*****
Luke gently slipped his fingers into Ashton's, as he helped him across the boards. Ashton stopped halfway, small gasp escaping his lips.

Luke couldn't quite see what was happening from where he was, so he crawled beside him, mouth falling open in a similar fashion.

Perched in the tree that separated their houses, Ashton and Luke witnessed the most beautiful sunset they'd ever seen.

Soft pinks and oranges painted the skies, gently washing over the blues of the morning, fading into the nights darkness. The sun spilled over the horizon like a runny egg yolk, before it completely dipped, disappearing from view.

Ashton stared between their interlocked hands and Luke's face, before he slipped back through his own window, returning moments later with a string of fairy lights. With Luke's help, Ashton tangled them into the branches, before he resumed his spot next to Luke, bathed in the soft glow of the twinkling lights and thousands of glittering stars. Luke's fingers found Ashton's again, and they laced together.

"That was beautiful" Ashton breathed, so quiet that Luke barley heard him.

His gaze fell to Ashton, and they met eyes, both glancing away with soft blushes coating their cheeks.

You made it more beautiful

Ashton read the message, smile lighting up his face, before he rested his head into Luke's lap. Luke gently ran his fingers through the honey hair, tangling his fingers into the soft hair.