Chapter 5

Ashton read the message, smile lighting up his face, before he rested his head into Luke's lap. Luke gently ran his fingers through the honey hair, tangling his fingers into the soft hair.
*****
The sky was grey, and clouds heavy, yet it didn't bother Luke or Ashton.The pair were running up and down the beach, looking ridiculous as they chased each other along the shoreline. After Luke tripped and fell into the damp sand yet again, Ashton helped him up, before he lead Luke off to the side, where they gathered their things.

Luke didn't go home that night.

There had been far too much yelling, far too many empty insults thrown his way out of anger...it had just been too much for him. It hadn't even been his fault, but when his parents fought, they needed someone to throw the blame to, and Luke hated being trapped in their anger.

He made his way to Ashton's house, surprised to see the boy missing from his bedroom. Luke let himself in the way he had done multiple times already.

Quiet whimpers were heard from the corner of the room, and Luke saw Ashton, curled up with hot tears streaming down his face, cheeks with prominent handprints and bruises. His small body shook with every sob, and he lay curled, soft whimpers escaping his lips.

Ashy, what happened?

For once, Ashton didn't want to talk. He took hold of Luke's pen and in shaky writing told him everything.

They hit me after school. Called me a fag.

His eyes fell down shamefully, and Luke felt tears burn behind his eyes as well. He'd held back from crying because of his parents, but now, couldn't help himself.

They fell asleep that night, two broken boys, who's only hope of being fixed was the other.
*****
It had become a habit to sit on the wooden boards every afternoon before the sunset, with the sparkly fairy lights above them. Luke's heart pounded as it always did, and millions of little butterflies erupted in his stomach.

Ashton looked so pretty curled up in his chest, that bubbly smile that Luke loved once again etched onto his face. They'd become stronger after that night, and were no longer afraid.

It was a wonderful thing really, that had come out of their relationship. Luke couldn't imagine how much differently his life would've went on had he not reunited with the hazel eyed boy from Disney Land.

Tonight, millions of little stars danced in the sky, lighting up Ashton's face. He was illuminated by the faint lights, and Luke could no longer help himself.

Ashton stared up into Luke's eyes, his own widened with hesitation. They both knew what they wanted to happen, they both knew what they wanted to do.

"If we kiss now, it'll change everything" Ashton murmured softly, his warm breath fanning against Luke's face. Luke's hands shakily found the pen, and he wrote out the words in his head.

Nothing lasts forever, nothing stays the same

With that, Luke gently angled Ashton's chin upwards, before he pressed their lips together.

And it was perfect. Ashton mouth was soft against his own, and it felt so right. They pulled away and stared into each others eyes, breathless, before their mouths met again. They were soft gentle kisses, full of love, something both boys desperately longed for.

Ashton and Luke found themselves in Luke's bed not long after, bodies close, gentle touches and kisses trailing over each other. Soft moans escaped them, and they showed each other what it meant to be loved, before they fell asleep snuggled closely together.

He didn't sleep alone anymore.

The days stretched into weeks, the weeks into months, and both boys had developed a relationship filled with love.

Ashton filled Luke with confidence, and he was able to confront his parents, and through Ashton and his written words, tell them what he was facing. When they finally understood, Luke felt better, and more safe.

Luke gave Ashton hope. He helped him face the world, and was always, always by his side. Luke kissed Ashton whenever they tried to hurt him, he always made sure they kept their hands off of him. Ashton was ok.
*****
It was Ashton's birthday, and they were sitting in their tree, criss crossed with their knees touching, Luke's pad and pencil between them. Ashton was imagining Luke's voice, telling Luke how he himself would never be able to stay silent so long.

"People may think a lot of things, but I think you're admirable. The patience, and control you have, the resistance...you didn't give into anyones, you listened to yourself. And stayed happy silent" Ashton thoughtfully told Luke, as his fingertips brushed over Luke's knuckles.

Yea. People always tried to make me talk, or said it was a phase

"I'm sorry if I talk too much"

No, it makes us perfect. We have balance, don't you think?

Ashton nodded in agreement, a genuine smile dancing on his lips. Luke nibbled his own, before both boys leaned in, and their lips gently touched. The small gesture caused both to blush, their eyes glancing away from each others faces, before they found them again.

Ashton stared into Luke's eyes, and he swallowed thickly, before he said it. Said the words he'd longed to say, because Luke was his everything. Luke made everything ok. Despite his fear of Luke not writing the words back, Ashton willed himself to stay confident. After a moment of staring into Luke's ocean eyes, Ashton said it.

"I love you Luke"