Salvia

Salvia

🍂 Caelum 🍂

Smoke and bourbon consumes me as I enter the bustling jazz club. Swarms of people gather near the dancefloor as excitement buzzes through the air. I peek at my phone and sigh at the empty lock screen. I tuck the device into my pocket and head to the bar for drinks.

I capture the bartender's attention and order a martini and beer. While I wait, my phone buzzes with a message from Evolet to say she's at the club. I pay for the drinks and scan the room for her.

Arms waving in the air captures my attention, then I see her sparkling green eyes and her smile. I inhale a deep breath as I wander to the small table she's leaning against. I place the martini in front of her and smile.

"Hey." I nod.

She's stunning, but that thought isn't defined by the way her outfit shows the smooth arch of her tanned back, but the pure joy and excitement swirling within her green eyes. Nobody's looked at me like that before.

"Thanks for the drink, and I can't believe you remembered it." There's nothing I've forgotten about that night.

"You're welcome."

The lights dim and the crowd roars with excitement.

People wander onto the stage and pick up their instruments. The lead singer introduces the band and they begin their first song with is upbeat and boppy.

Evolet watches the band while I watch how she glows with excitement and anticipation. She bops her head in time to the beat between sips on the martini.

Once she reaches the end of the drink, her gaze turns to me and my stomach churns.

"Dance with me."

"I don't dance." I shake my head.

"You'll dance with me, though." She smirks.

"I can't dance."

"I'll teach you."

I adore her confidence and the way I blindly follow her orders. I finish my drink and allow her to lead me onto the edge of the dancefloor.

She takes one hand and wraps it around her waist, then holds my other hand up. I look around at the others and shake my head. I wish I didn't have two left feet right now.

"Watching me."

Now there's something I can do.

"Step forward when I step back, okay?"

Of course, I step on her foot, but she doesn't grumble or wince in pain. She swivels her hips and smiles as I pick up speed on the three-step dance routine. Forward, back together, back, and somehow don't step on her toes.

We almost move in time to the beat which is more than I could have hoped for. Evolet grins with excitement and swivels her hips.

The song ends and the band quickly moves to their next one. This tune is slower than the previous song and somewhat familiar.

"For this song, we take one step to the left, back to the middle, then to the right. On the second round, you spin me around like this."

She grips onto my fingers and twirls herself around, then moves back to her position in front of me. It's not a complicated dance and thankfully I won't have to worry about stepping on her toes.

Evolet takes the lead on this dance as well, she tries to twirl while I'm sidestepping away. I shuffle closer and scoop her back to me. I step back into the dance and on the second round, I remember to spin her.