Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

NINE: Carter

Carter Ford
June 8, 2018

Carter stood at one end of the table, holding a small ping-pong ball between his fingers. He closed one eye and focused to the best of his abilities. The red-solo-cups seemed so far away in comparison to his hand. But if he aimed just right, he could get it in.

He drew his arm back and released the ball from his grasp. It flew through the air in almost slow motion. His heart was beating with anticipation. Alas, it landed in one of the three remaining cups, making a splash as it entered.

A cheer erupted from the onlookers. A small group had gathered around the table to watch the match of Beer Pong that had ensued between the four guys. It was Carter and Aidan on one side, Christian and Isaac on the other. Carter's side was winning with now only two cups remaining on the opposite end of the table.

He looked across the kitchen and saw Emmalyn sitting on the couch in the living room, talking with Noelle. Carter hadn't been paying much attention to Emmalyn thus far in the night, and he knew that it was bothering her. It was probably what she was ranting to Noelle about at this very moment. But Carter didn't like being attached at the hip with someone. He needed his space. And besides, they had spent the entire afternoon together before the party. What more did she want?

He focused his attention back on the game and watched as Isaac lifted his arm and aimed for the cups.

The night was going well. It was almost midnight and a good majority of people were still at the party. Carter had spent the last little while mingling with different groups and playing drinking games, while simultaneously trying to keep the house in good shape. He and his roommates had parties like this every once in a while. Their house had become known within their friend group as the place to be. It was as though they held this responsibility to host parties and get-togethers. Carter didn't mind, though. He enjoyed the company.

A few people were standing in the backyard, smoking cigarettes and passing around a joint. Carter was planning on heading to the fridge to grab another beer, but something outside caught his attention. It was Emmalyn, standing beside Jack, holding a joint between her lips.

Something ignited inside of him. First of all, what was she doing smoking a joint? And more importantly, why was she with Jack? Regardless of the fact that they weren't in a relationship, Carter still felt possessive over her. Of course he didn't want her talking to other guys, let alone his roommate. And the fact that Emmalyn was so persistent on doing whatever she wanted made him even angrier. She was so difficult to maintain control over with her can't be tamed attitude.

He found his feet moving swiftly across the kitchen tiles, heading towards the back door and swinging it wide open.

"What are you doing?" he said once he reached Emmalyn and Jack.
She exhaled the smoke and handed the joint back to Jack. "What does it look like I'm doing?"
"You're not supposed to be smoking weed," he said. "You know it doesn't mix well with your meds."
She gave him a look of pure anger and annoyance. "What do you care?"
"You'll go manic later and then it will be my responsibility to look after you."
She laughed. A sarcastic, cold laugh. "Alright, Carter."
He shook his head at her, then turned to Jack. "Do not enable her, please. It's not good for her health."
Jack nodded solemnly and put out the joint with his fingers. Carter turned away from them and headed back into the house.

That's when he saw McKenna, leaning against the wall, talking with Blake. Carter and Blake had been friends since high school. They had gone through the rough teenage years together, and had managed to remain close ever since. Blake and Carter both worked at the same construction company. It was actually Blake who had gotten him the job.

"I see you two have met," Carter said to them as he approached.
They both turned to face him. "Oh hey," McKenna smiled.
"Where did you find this girl?" Blake said, nodding towards McKenna. "I like her already."
Carter laughed. "Some bar downtown," he winked at McKenna. "You're having fun, then?"
"I am," she said. "Thanks for inviting me."
"Of course. You're welcome to come around any time," he paused as he looked at them again. "Well, I'll leave you to it. If you need me, I'll be in the kitchen, pounding back as much alcohol as I humanly can."