( ELEVEN ! )

Eating breakfast the next morning, Hermione couldn't fathom that people still viewed her in the same way, that for them, nothing had changed, even though her whole world had shifted. She buttered a slice of toast, crumbs coating her fingers as she lifted to her lips. Merlin, was she hungry. Taking a large bite, she felt the bench jolt as Ginny slumped onto it next to her.

"Hi," she said, yawning. Her eyes were dull, and her usually well-groomed hair scraped up into a mess atop her head.

"You okay?" Hermione asked, offering her friend the rest of her toast. Ginny shrugged, and accepted it, stuffing the entire slice into her mouth.

"I'm just tired," she said through a mouthful of bread. A moment passed, and then she added, reluctantly, "And I'm worried about Luna. She seems so distant, not herself, you know?"

Hermione instantly felt ashamed. Truthfully, with everything that had happened, she hadn't even spared a thought towards Luna, a friend who had been so kind to her, and so had noticed nothing. "I'm sorry Ginny, I've been so caught up in myself lately. What's been going on?"

"I don't know," Ginny said, brushing escaping strands of red hair back from her forehead. "She just disappears for a while sometimes, and when I find her she looks upset, or worried, or frightened. But she won't say anything. I ask and I ask her, but she won't. I'm her - we're best friends, and she won't tell me what's worrying her!"

"Maybe she doesn't know how," Hermione suggested, brushing crumbs from the table. "Or maybe she needs some space."

"I've given her space," Ginny sighed, putting her head in her hands. "I keep on giving her space, but it doesn't seem to make her any happier."

Hermione was at a loss. Advice certainly was not her forte, so she simply smiled in what she hoped was a consoling way, and placed a comforting hand on Ginny's hunched shoulders. "Just let her know you're there for her?" she said uncertainly. To her dismay, Ginny's face crumpled.

"That's all I ever do," she murmured, so quietly that Hermione wasn't even sure she'd heard correctly. "She never notices." Glancing at the clock, which signalled helpfully that it was time for lessons to commence, she stood up."I have to go. See you later, Hermione."

"Ginny, wait - " But she was gone.

All of Hermione's happiness drained from her, and she felt an overwhelming need to curl up and cry. There were too many problems to solve, and Merlin knew how she was supposed to help. NEWTs, friendships - and Pansy. How could she forget about Pansy?

Oh, and their potions assignment was due into tomorrow.

She let out an audible groan.

"What woes are plaguing you today, then?" Pansy was leaning over the place next to her, examining her with a spark in her eyes. "Overdue homework? The struggles of school? Romance?"

Hermione's cheeks reddened. "Just tired," she laughed. She didn't feel comfortable revealing the emotional exchange she had shared with Ginny, though she guessed she trusted Pansy. "How are you this morning?"

Pansy smirked. "How do you think?"

"Tired?"

Pansy snorted. "No, Granger! I was referring to our...." She gestured meaningfully.

"Not here!" Hermione hissed, but she was smiling. "You can't just yell about things like that in the Great Hall."

"Why not?" Pansy asked. "Should I be ashamed?"

"No, but I'd rather not have every person in the school knowing about my love life." As soon as she'd said it, regret burned through her. Love life? Hermione Granger, you are such an idiot.