Part 15

Lyla anxiously tapped her foot on the carpeting of Dr. Hayden's office. Beside her, Shaniece sat in the chair with the bright flowering vine pattern. Though there was no formal announcement, they knew the topic of today's meeting.

Dr. Hayden entered, positioned a chair facing both girls and sat down. She wore a cream-colored pantsuit with an uncharacteristically cheerful blue and white striped shirt.

"My mom's got that same suit," said Shaniece. "Same color anyway."

"Oh?"

"Looks good."

"Thanks."

"It's hot in here," said Lyla.

"Is it?" The doctor's eyes narrowed when they settled on Lyla's facial bruises.

"How's your head?" 

"I'm okay."

"Having headaches? Looks like it hurts."

Lyla shrugged.

Doctor Haden shifted her weight on the chair before crossing her legs.

"I wanted to talk to you both. About Clover."

Big surprise there.

"That was a terrible, terrible thing. All of us who knew Clover are heartbroken."

Lyla nodded. Something about the matter-of-fact way in which the doctor delivered the message made it feel so much worse.

"After we took her out of your room to the hospital, we drew a blood sample. The blood work indicated that Clover had ingested recreational drugs at some point during the day. Did either of you know anything about that?"

Both girls shook their heads.

"Have you seen anyone on the floor giving her drugs?"

Shaniece said, "Nope."

"Same," Lyla added.

"There are staff members going through your room right now."

Shaniece turned a wide-eyed expression toward Lyla then back to the doctor.

"Are they going to find anything that you shouldn't have in your possession?" Dr. Haden asked.

"No," Lyla said adamantly.

"Definitely not," Shaniece added.

"Clover had been a patient here on-and-off for three years," said the doctor. "She was working through several issues."

"Then why did you let her out?" Lyla's voice quivered.

"We were working to get her back into a rehab facility."

"We?"

"Her parents and those of us here. As a team."

"I don't understand." The words erupted involuntarily. "She has some kind of a major meltdown and you just send her home?"

Lyla clenched her fists in her lap. Her arms trembled. Doctor Hayden, on the other hand, maintained her steady, even, clinical disposition.

After a calculated pause, the doctor responded. "We are not fully equipped to treat substance abuse issues at this facility. We were doing what we believed was in Clover's best interest."

Clover was right. To them, it's all a guessing game.